RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Before and After

Old 06-12-2005, 01:38 AM

What you could try is a couple of different duplicate layers, and use a stronger Neat Image on each. So for the shirt really bump up the noise reduction, and mask out everything but that section to show the 'lighter' de-noising below for the rest of the photo. (This is paraphrasing the tutorial Flora has done on the topic)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM

I ran the Noise->Despeckle filter about 6 times on the image. It did a pretty good job of cleaning up the moire look in the shadows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sJohn-Bust.jpg (15.4 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 04:16 PM

this looks like a halftone or newsprint type image. did you scan it this way or is that the way it was/is?

besides the spottiness/halftone aspect, this image needs some tones, different tones. it's too 'black and white'. the stark white background mixed with his overly white/light face and shirt, gives this image a bit of an overexposed look. darkening the background with some light mixed greys and adding some grey texture to his face would help a lot. try some curves, levels and histogram adjustment to spread out the tones a bit.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Hello Sylvia,

Regarding your last post, you're doing a good job. To remove remaining pattern/texture, aside from the instructions offered by the others here which would also be very effective, you can also apply Flora's tutorial. She used the Gaussian blur filter.

This is a normal process, Sylvia. Try everything you can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Kraellin,

I totally agree with you. That's what I needed to hear. I was thinking the same thing but I don't have enough experience to know that's the problem. Caitlin, I maxed out the NeatImage settings on this picture. I'm not sure how to use masking to work with the shirt but I'm going to play with it and see if I can figure it out. Swampy, I'm going to also try your suggestion and see what kind of results I get. I may need more help and I so appreciate everyone's input!

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 PM

just stay with it, Anna. learn and practice the individual tools until you can just pick up the one you need and use it. there are lots of tutorials and helps in this forum and a great bunch of folks. you can also usually find documentation on your paint program within the paint program, often context sensitive help. check out the manufacturer's site and the various fan/support sites also. often you'll find more help on the fan sites than anywhere.

keep it simple. photoshop is a very complex program and it's very easy to get lost and confused in a hurry. if and when that happens, just go back to before that was the case and find whatever it was that you didnt quite get and go over it again, otherwise you just add confusion to confusion. often it's just a word or symbol. clear that up and then go forward again. and trust me, i've been in that situation way too many times

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11 AM

I ran it back through NeatImage using the shirt as the noise profile. It obliterated all the noise but it does look a bit unnatural as you see in my image. Swampy, I think your version using Noise> Despeckle looks a little more natural. I'm experimenting with Flora's tutorial and I'm at the part where I'm suppose to use a brush to paint the details that NeatImage blurred. I am truely learning this one step at a time. When I began trying to figure out how to use the brush as Flora described, this could be like looking for a needle in a haystack. The brush possibilities are vast. She did say, 'soft brush with 60 to 80% opacity. For someone that has never worked with brushes, all I can think of at this point is, which brush out of all the many, many brushes!

Kraellin, this is the original picture and it's stark lack of color is quite unusual. I'm attaching what it looks like after running it through NeatImage twice. The noise is certainly gone but it looks even more strange!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc. pictures 013_filtered_filtered.jpg (76.0 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 02:13 AM

anna,

yup. that's the 'pasty' look. too much noise/grain/texture removed. i'm always reminded of that movie where robin williams plays a robot that gains intelligence and wants to be 'human'. he looks like a robot and ends up with a guy that can make him look more human. he says a line to robin while he's fabricating his new face. it goes something like, 'it's all about the imperfections'.

one way to remove scan lines and other such oddities, is to add noise, rather than remove it. rather than remove all the one, you add a bit more to fill in rather than remove. you can then blur or smear this around a bit to get a more natural look. it just sort of depends on what you've got to work with.

i'm curious, you said you ran it thru neat image twice. why twice and what did it look like after the first pass?

also, you dont necessarily have to completely remove all the undesirables. sometimes just reducing it is enough. always take a look at your product at a full 1:1 window. that's the sight anyone else is going to see if you post it somewhere.

also, depending on your printer, by reducing less noise than what is there, a printer will actually sometimes reduce noise levels by itself because of how the ink is applied and runs and drys. so, it's a good idea when you think you're somewhat close to what you want, print it and take a look at it that way.

also bear in mind that i'm no expert. flora and some others are masters of noise and skin textures. you might poke them to come take a look at this

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Craig,

If you look at my first post, you'll see the original scan before any adjustments. Then you've seen the one that was run through Neat Image twice. After doing that, I remembered that Flora said to use Neat Image once and then use Gaussian Blur. So this image is what is looks like doing Flora's way and it is a definite improvement over running it through NeatImage twice. Right now, I'm blocked on the next step of using a brush and mask to bring out image clarity. I've sent Flora an e-mail asking if she can help me a little through the next part of her tutorial.

Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc. pictures 013_filtered-G-Blur.jpg (73.8 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 AM

yup. much better

is 'neatimage' a part of photoshop or is it a plugin? i dont use photoshop and dont have neatimage as a plugin for paint shop pro, so i'm a bit curious here.

in paint shop pro, there are several tools to bring out image clarity. i'm sure photoshop has these equivalents (and more) as well. try 'sharpen' and 'clarify'. these can help to restore some of the sharpness that gets lost in gausian blurs.

for adding or removing contrast you can use several things also. 'levels' and 'curves' and 'brightness/contrast' in paint shop pro. and again, photoshop will have the equivalents. there are also plugins that can help with this. i use one called 'fast fix' at times.

masks, layers and all that goes with them can be extremely useful. how much do you know about them already?

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques