RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My First Painter Project

Old 06-15-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks, Neve... yes! Lots to learn

Craig... Beautiful. It is much cleaner! Thank you for the input!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 10:02 AM

I think you're doing the right thing by seeking a little education instead of trying to figure out Painter without same.

And may I say your 1st creation came out a whole lot better than mine.

I, too, am learning new Painter tricks all the time. Here's something I learned the other day that might work well on this image (hose or not). It's based on a suggestion by Phyllis Stewart:
* In Photoshop, get rid of the hose
* Open file in Painter
* File > Clone
* Choose brush Artists > Impressionist
* Window > Show Colors (to show the Color Palette if it's not visible)
* Window > Show Color Variability (" " " Color Variability " " " ")
* Color Palette: Click clone color button (it looks like a rubber stamp)
* Color variablity palette: Set the H setting to 10%-15%
* Lower brush opacity to about 50%-60% or so
* Start painting on the "Clone of xxx" image
* Use larger brush size for large shapes, small size for detail
* Cloner > Soft Cloner - use this to restore a little detail if needed
* Blender > Grainy Blender 10,20,30 - use this to smoosh some of the strokes

BTW: I'm probably among the few who actually knows the origin of "E-ticket ride," a great bit of Disney trivia. Got a chuckle out of reading that one.

Keep having fun!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 AM

Danny... I've printed out your short tutorial and will give it a try soon. So much to do, so little time.

(heeheeee.. I thought someone might know what an E Ticket ride was. You're showing your age and so am I... LOL)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 10:33 AM

Oh...I also know what an E-ticket is. I think I still have one in an old ticket book kept as a souvenir.

I am also going to try your tutorial, Danny. Thanks.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 AM

Code:
You're showing your age... LOL
I'm only 12; I read it on a Trivial Pursuit card. (OK... I'm not 12!)

Here's an example... It lost some quality in the resizing to 100 KB game, but you'll get the idea. (Hope you don't go ballistic like BobUSA did on my suggestions for his. )

You can make it as detailed or loose as you like (this is pretty loose). I also used Colored Pencils > Oil Colored Pencil 5 to clone in a few strokes here and there.

In Photoshop I sharpened a big and added some satuation to give the colors a little boost.

My fav Disneyland rides (I'm a West Coaster): Matterhorn & Monorail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impasto villa2.jpg (92.0 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM

thanks, swampy

ok, i cant keep calling you 'swampy'. i keep thinking of an old black and white B movie and that just wont do. what's your first name and why the name 'swampy'?

and, that house is well worth the restoration effort. it's got some very good lines, i.e. the arches. and a great picture also.

and yes, i've enough years under my belt to know what an e-ticket ride is also. go Pirates of the Carribean! though, the matterhorn was also fun. i've been to both disneyland and disneyworld and the kid in me wouldnt mind going back to either.

danny, very nice. one of these days i'm going to have to upgrade to photoshop just to catch up to you guys.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 PM

Lots of Disney fans here in RTP. My son works for Disney in the DVD division out in Burbank. He's been with the mouse for 15 years.

Danny... LOL on the BobUSA. That was some post, huh? I like what you did with the oil pencils. I know it will come, but I just can't get "loose" enough to work with the true media brushes yet. I used to design needlepoint and cross stitch where everything was "on a grid". I hope to learn though.

Cathy... Hang on to that E Ticket. It's a real collector's item.

Craig... My real name is Dee Dee, but I've been "Swampy" online since 1983 with my first modem (300 baud coupler modem!! ) Compu-Serve and Genie. I took the screen name "Swamp Witch" from the start because it was my CB (radio) handle back in the 70's. Friends online shortened it to "Swampy" to save on the typing and I've been "swampy" ever since. "Swampy" is also kinda neutral and safe for a woman (if you get my drift?) I used to tell the young drooling "panters" I lived in the swamps and looked like a witch <wink>
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 PM

lol. ok, swampy it is then

ah, 300 baud and cis and genie. boy, that brings back some memories. i'm afraid i have to admit that i was addicted to the game, Island of Kesmai, first on cis and then on genie. later on, it was air warrior on genie and dragon's gate. boy, if i had all the money back that i spent then, i could retire in luxury. and dont be too hard on us, er, those panters; they only drool a little

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Dee Dee:

re:

Quote:
Danny... I used to design needlepoint and cross stitch where everything was "on a grid". I hope to learn though.
I know exactly what you mean. As a certified, type-A, always color-inside-the-lines kind of guy for so many, many years, it's taken me a while to get comfortable with things like off the wall colors, not all the detail, etc.

- - - - - -

Craig:

re:
Quote:
...one of these days i'm going to have to upgrade to photoshop just to catch up to you guys.
Dee Dee and I have be horsing around with Corel Painter. Most people who have Painter also have Phothshop, with which it's easier to do some common tasks. It's not uncommon to open a file in Photoshop, tweak it, close it, open it in Painter, tweak it some more, and go back/forth as needed.

Just want to make sure you spend your $$ on the right program!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Craig... I was the Roundtable (forum) manager for the Mac area on GEnie for a number of years. Met my significant other in the GEnie chat room in 1987! Imagine trying to explain to people in the "swamps" how you met someone on your computer back in those days! They didn't know anything about email, let alone chat rooms. I've always been a "geek girl" and my son calls me "Techno Mom" :-)

Danny....Been using PhotoShop since the middle 80's. I have CS2 sitting on the shelf waiting to get installed, but have a huge project underway (4 color process 28 page book for our Chamber's annual Caladium Festival-also doing their ads, t-shirts, poster and brochure) using CS1and don't want to change horses in the middle of the stream. Just found out yesterday that as soon as I put this project to bed they want me to start selling ads and setting up their 72 page Chamber Membership Directory/Visitor's Guide. No rest for the weary.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques