RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My First Painter Project

Old 06-16-2005, 09:23 AM

danny,

great, now i have to get painter too. i think i'm going to go back to paint shop pro 4.12 ... or maybe i'll just buy some crayons thanks, danny

Quote:
Imagine trying to explain to people in the "swamps" how you met someone on your computer back in those days! They didn't know anything about email, let alone chat rooms.
yup. i recall the first couple i knew of online that got married from meeting and dating online. most folks back then thought 'online' meant talking over the phone...or something. one of them lived in washington (or oregon) and the other was on the east coast. they eventually met personally, married and ended up in washington. great stuff, but far outside the norm back then.

Mac forum, eh. ok, that's why we never met

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 AM

Craig... I found Painter IX on Ebay for $179. It was a Buy-Now deal and about the best price I've seen. The CD comes with both Mac and PC versions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 02:09 PM

thanks dee dee

for now, i'm going to stick with what i've got. my next move will prolly be to upgrade psp 7.xx to 9.xx. i do see some value in switching to p-shop now, but i also hate the idea of starting over in an even more complex program when i havent finished studying the one i've got. i've been using psp on and off since version 4.12. and just recently i've gotten more serious about doing something with it. there's no sense in buying a jumbo jet if you cant fly a piper cub

actually, i do see some sense in it. most of the tutorials, around here at least, are for p-shop and these dont always translate to psp, so learning this technique or that is a bit difficult at times and in that regard i do see the need to switch, or if not switch completely, at least augment. but the price, off the shelf for p-shop, makes that one pricey augmentation. add another $180 for a painter augmentation and it's hard to justify the expense without some commercial revenue coming back from all this, which just doesnt exist at the moment.

but, i am drooling a bit and i do see the move happening at some point

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 09:51 PM

No doubt: One big advantage of Photoshop is the wealth of educational and tutorial offerings available.

One strategy to consider for getting into Photoshop without taking out a loan on your house is to find an older, legit, unregistered version on eBay (5.5, 6.0 or 7.0 will do). If you shop around, you can get really good deals.

Here's an example.

Only get 5.5 if you're going to upgrade to CS or CS2; 6.0 or 7.0 would be a good place to get started learning the basics (books very cheap; 70%-80% of the features/functions of the latest versions) if you wanted to hold off on CS, CS2 for a while.

When the time's right, spring for another $139 for the most current Photoshop upgrade. All legal and aboveboard.

Then shop for a Painter 8 upgrades on eBay. Special packaging on P8 "upgrade" only: No prior version of Painter required as long as you have Photoshop installed = you can get into Painter for about $50.

So, for $150-$200 you've got PS _and_ Painter.

Food for thought.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM

danny,

i have checked out e-bay once or twice for PS, hoping to find some frustrated person who no longer wanted it and would sell it at a discount. didnt find any. but, i did find just about exactly what you're talking about. there were several ads for earlier versions of PS plus the upgrade to CS. the package ran about half of what the full current version would sell for.

i wasnt aware of the painter 8 deal though. that is considerably less. so, thanks

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques