RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My First Painter Project

Old 06-12-2005, 09:32 PM

My First Painter Project

I just got Corel Painter (thanks to all you folks that do such beautiful work in Painter, I just had to have it )

When I get a program of this magnitude, the first thing I do is go to Lynda.com and pay the $25 for 1 month's free access to anything that's there and start watching the QuickTime movies. It's the quickest and easiest way for me to get a handle on what the program can do. Anyway, Lynda's tutorials are very good and the $25 for a whole month of perusing the site is a bargain (I plan to pick up some tips on CS2 on this "E Ticket" ride)

Anyway, a couple hours exploring just the auto sketch and auto clone features brought the following result. The original photo is one that I took during a digital camera class offered by the local art league. I love pen and ink so that was my first area of exploration (and trial and error.)

Aren't new toys fun?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original-House.jpg (43.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg My-Painted-House.jpg (79.2 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 PM

Well done, just one comment - I think I would have removed the hose pipe etc. first.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 PM

Xer...

I just cloned the hose out in Photoshop, but ya know... it kinda looks bare now. LOL. The arches in the structure just caught my eye. I didn't even notice the hose when I took the shot.

The house is rather interesting. It is part of the Art League property and under renovation. It is one of three old homes (circa 1920) that are being renovated. They are referred to by their color, so this one is "Yellow" house. As in, "The digital camera class will be held in the "Yellow House". They all occupy prime lakefront property in the heart of our cultural district (which also includes the library, civic center and little theater).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Swampy, that sounds SO awesome. I wanna live there! lol And great painting btw!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 01:48 PM

swampy,

very nice!

i'd have removed the hose, the extension cord (or whatever that orange thing is above the hose), and that little shovel or sign on the left. then, simply crop off the bottom part of the picture to remove that bare area look. always look for the 'real' picture. what do you really want to see and and not see. always ask that second part when taking a pic or working with editing.

nice picture and nice work, though.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 02:04 PM

Thanks, Craig

Would love to see your version, but you didn't post it. :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 02:27 PM

A little hose clean up would help, but I love the picture anyway. I am also learning Painter and now I want to play with the pen and ink. I have been mostly using oils and acrylics.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 04:26 PM

1STLITE...Come on down! LOL

Cathy... Trust me, I am not an artist. Couldn't draw a straight line on a piece of graph paper if you handed me a pencil and ruler!!! I can visulize what I want to create, but I just can't translate the vision to paper. Enter the computer. The illustration programs (FreeHand & Illustrator) and pixel pushing programs (Photoshop & Painter) allow me to do some pretty amazing stuff that would otherwise remain dormant in my brain. :-)

I've been so busy putting a 28 page book together and selling ads that I really haven't had time to explore Painter, but just touching the surface it is an amazing addition to my arsenal of digital "tricks".
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 PM

A terrific effort....I haven't tried Pen and Ink yet in Painter, so much to learn!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 11:17 PM

She tasks me! (sorry, old star trek reference)

swampy,

ok, the renos are done cleaned up the yard, finished painting the house, fixed a couple shingles, removed the house in the background (the neighbors werent too pleased either), cleaned the sidewalk after fixing the crack there, and cleaned some of the brickwork. my bill's in the mail oh, and i watered that plant on the porch; it was almost dead.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original-House-1-k-1.jpg (89.8 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques