Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 PM
I'll chime in as Simon mark 2 then
What app are you creating this "logo" in? If you're not creating this in a vector app, then it's not a logo, it's a web banner. As was mentioned before, a logo must work in b/w (faxing, photocopying). If it's working in a single color, adding other colors probably won't help it much either. And you have to use a vector app to create the logo. You're going to have to resize it so many times for the various materials it will be printed on that the flexibility of the vector object will be a necessity. Which vector app you choose to use is not relevant - Draw, Illustrator, Freehand, Xara - any of them will produce a good EPS file for the SB. So if you've not created this as a vector file to begin with, scrap the file and start over. Otherwise, the kerning on the letters could use some work... and you might want to read up on some logo theory, etc. Jeff Fisher, a great logo artist, has just started a new article series over at Creative Latitudes on logo work... you might wanna give it a read:
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM
The article...

Thanks for the link to the article...I've sent it to work so I can pass it on to our graphics team.

I'd agree with Hunter...I work for a company who deals with hundreds of clients and many only have a jpg of the logo and that's all they've ever had for many years. They want us to use it for web and various print ads and the jpgs don't look as good as the eps (vector file).

As far as the two logos you have...I like both, but lean towards number 2.

The punch aspect of the logo is relative to the whole style of the company. I live in the midwest and many companies don't have catchy logos or even logos for that matter. They spell out the name of the company in some font they liked and that's it. They still pull in millions of dollars a year, because they have a small list of customers they deal with and don't advertise in the same sense as NIKE or APPLE. They just don't need punch. I think if it needed a big punch, they'd know they need it and would ask for something a bit more flashy.

After that you get into the whole branding issue and we could build another wed-site for that theory alone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Logos are the heart and soul of my ad specialty business. I can tell you from long experience that half tones are lovely on the web, but the ablsolute no no for many other print applications. (Doubly true for gradients which just can't be duplicated in something like embroidery)

That gray will either have to print as a thrid color (more expense for the customer) or won't print at all if they want to do a promotional item that might be printed in hotstamp or die cast.

What others have said about use a vector (EPS) format is absolutly true. I've had logos printed on billboards using an Illustrator file that lost no resolution when enlarged to that size.

I've recolorized your logo (didn't have your Cryllic font loaded) so that it can be reproduced in 2 solid colors or 1 color. Also, red is the color of attraction so it has more "punch"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (9.7 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques