RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Logo

Old 06-14-2005, 10:44 AM

Logo

If you get a chance could you please critique my logo. It is for a packaging company.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1.jpg (9.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_2.jpg (10.1 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 11:31 AM

well i like the second one most ... 'cause the blue "pac" in the first one is to bright - remember: a log must work in b/w and even if it's been xeroxed 1'000'000 times ... (approx. )

hum don't know what else to say :/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Love the 2nd one, it has more of an impact!!!

Nice work hun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 PM

Maybe you should make the gaps between the package sides a little bigger!

I have a plain old Laserjet here to print my correspondence and it cannot print any gray tones. So if you try to print a gray tone it comes out dotted, hence if I would print your logo the blue tones would inevitably produce some zig zag lines and it would look as if the sides would fade into each other

Just a hint

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Dakota,

one question first; is the white background going to be standard with this logo or did you simply have to add that to post it here?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks alot everyone for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
Dakota,

one question first; is the white background going to be standard with this logo or did you simply have to add that to post it here?

Craig
It all depends on the website header we end up with ( not sure yet if we will try to make it or hire it out if we can find a someone good with webpage headers).

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 PM

Dakota,

thanks.

ok, here's the simon (from american idol ) critique. it lacks punch. you've got all the elements. they're done fine, but it lacks punch. if it was a song, you did it technically correct, but it doesnt have much 'sell' behind it. the blue-gray is too blase', too weak. the lettering is smaller than the box. 'Isle Pac' shld be at least as tall as the box and i'd reverse the order too. put the 'Isle Pac' ahead of the box and the box at the end. add a bit more color and contrast.

a logo is like a first greeting, a first impression, a first handshake and is something that you want to stay with folks. you've kept it simple, which is good, but it just doesnt 'sell' me. in a world of mega advertising, you want something that sticks out a bit. you dont want to beat folks over the head with it, but you do want them to notice it. color and contrast are often used for this. the colors that tend to catch the eye the best are reds, yellows, oranges, and golds, the warm colors. blues and greens are the cool colors and dont do this quite as much. short of color then you want contrast.

i've included a couple of quick examples. they arent cleaned up; i just knocked them out quickly to show you what i mean.

again, you did a technically fine job. there's nothing wrong with it and if the company you're doing it for is happy with it, then forget everything i said. but, i'd give them some options. do up several and see which they like best.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image6.jpg (30.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Image7.jpg (37.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Well I'll weigh in with my 'Janet' opinion here (To continue the American Idol analogy...) - and say - I like your version Dakota. (Though also would lean towards version 2)

I think it's elegant while also being simple which is important. Kraellins's is a bit too rough for my tastes, and the proportions aren't as balanced. Also, I think traditionally logos do appear in front of the text - not after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted on the finished logo.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2005, 01:11 PM

Dakota,

in light of a little bit of sleep and caitlin's response, i've come out of 'simon' mode. your logo is basically fine. you've all the elements that a logo shld have. you've the company name, a brief description of what they do and a little graphic saying the same thing and the technical rendering is fine.

my basic criticism is still the same though. it does need a bit more punch. how you might want to do that is between you and the client. my examples were just quickly thrown together possibles and not meant as you shld do this or that. just give it something a little extra to make it stand out a bit more. that's all.

and saying all that, i'll again say that, the bottom line is still what does the client need and want. if the client is happy with it, go with it. caitlin's and my different responses is a perfect example of why you consult the client. everyone is going to have a different idea and opinion.

looking forward to seeing what you decide.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques