RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

A Family Restoration

Old 06-18-2005, 12:13 AM

A Family Restoration

This photo was recently discovered by my mother, tucked inside an antique silver photo frame behind another photo. It was shot in 1915 and the infant is my grandmother. I am in the process of restoring it to fill a 4x6 print.

In my opinion the original was in great shape, aside from the the fact that someone did a scissor job on it. I chose to recreate the background, as the original looked poor and the existing drapes were difficult to clone (I wish to give credit for the curtains to RetouchPRO's tutorial, "Doug's technique for creating curtains" submitted by Leah.).

To extract the people, I hand-painted a mask, then gave the mask a gentle gaussian blur to remove it's sharpness. I had to copy-and-paste Father's left leg to repair his right leg. I then threw in some black at the bottom of the image, rather than attempt to create ankles and feet from scratch. For the backdrop I followed the "curtains" tutorial, but used my own texture. To finish, I removed all color and added sepia with a photo filter adjustment layer. I multiplied Baby's face for more detail, painting it in where needed.

I didn't mean for this to come off sounding like some sort of cheap tutorial. I'd like your opinions of my procedure, and what you'd recommend. Is this bright enough? Does the backdrop fit? Is there enough sepia, or should I add extra color with doutone? Does Baby's face need more contrast? Thanks.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (98.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (97.2 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Ken Rogers; 06-18-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 12:46 AM

personally, i think you did an excellant job
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 01:07 AM

i think you did an excellent job also.

my personal tastes would have been to leave the original background. it keeps the character of the picture. i've an old one of my dad taken in a studio. the background is largely blacked out, but what's there is just part of the shot, the time and place of the thing. but that's just a choice thing.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 01:32 AM

I agree with all the comments Craig has made - I think your curtains look good - and quite realistic, though I personally would probably choose to retain the existing background, but this looks good too.

One thing I did notice was that the line where you have faded to black at the bottom is noticable - you need to try to make the gradation a bit more subtle I think.

Have you considered making an oval marque around the picture? There is some foot detail there that you could keep that way, without having to rebuild the rest. I also rather like keeping details like the original photographers stamp - but that's a personal preference as well.

One slight point on the extraction - you have missed a lock of father's hair - but that may have been intentional - it looks fine without it.

The baby does still seems a little blown out - in the attached I duplicated him, set to multiply, at about 60% opacity, and desaturated. I was a bit rough with my selection - so it could be done better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afterb.jpg (98.6 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 06-18-2005 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Fixed typos!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 02:01 AM

Hi Ken,

Nice work. Personally, like Craig, I'd have kept the original background.

However, thats a judgement call, and it would be boring if we all did things the same.

But I think the new background looks a little too clean in comparison to the figures. Perhaps a little de-saturation, and a very small amount of blurring would marry the two together better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Ken, a very nice job

[nit-packing mode]

However....

- As the curtains are not burred we can oly assume that they are close behind the group. As such, you should have some sort of shadow on the curtains.
The mother casts quite a shadow on the standing young boy, and also the sitting boy casts a shadow on the father - so it's it follows that the group should also cast a reasonable shadow;

- There seems to be a lack of balance between burring and sharpening - although this is already present in the original. Some parts, like the sitting boy's collar, are crispy clear, while others, like the standing boy's face, are blurred. Looks odd.

[/nit-packing mode]

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 01:24 PM

Rô, Rô, Rô - just wanted to show off my Brazillian ô. Finally figured out how to do it.

Aren't you proud???
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiska
Rô, Rô, Rô - just wanted to show off my Brazillian ô. Finally figured out how to do it.

Aren't you proud???
Very Good!! Please tell, please!!

Some people have asked me how to do it, and I haven't a clue - here it's all set up for this.
Guess now I'll have to make it more difficult...how about Ró, Rò or Rö - ain't portuguese fun!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 04:35 PM

On windows, US keyboard: Alt+0244

On mac : opt+i, then o

ó ö õ

Rô, go to the link below. 'How to use'>All Platforms. It'll give you a pdf chart for characters.

http://store.adobe.com/type/

Last edited by kiska; 06-18-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 10:27 PM

I am in agreement with everyone. It's not really a "restoration" if I replace the entire background. I hadn't realised how cool the photographer's stamp looks.

I spent an hour removing the dust and scratches, sharpened the faces, multiplied Baby's face (60% worked well), desaturated the entire image and added a sepia affect with the "Photo Filter" adjustment layer. Three of the faces are beautifully sharp, but one is blurred and Baby's still looks blown out. I'm not really sure how much more I can do for them.

I would love to somehow restore the photographer's stamp, which reads, "Westgrove Studios, 212 High Road, Wood-- (something)" If I could figure out the town's name (somewhere in England) I could probably find a near-matching font and use some layer effects to get the "stamp" look. Lastly, I need to move the oval marque over to the left a bit (although there's no photo detail left of Dad's elbow.). I've done enough for tonight.

Thanks for your opinions, please feel free to critique a little more.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upload.jpg (95.6 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques