smudge painting

Old 06-26-2005, 08:29 PM

palms1,

ok, good

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 03:50 PM

I'm back

Well cat hasn't co operated yet and struck up the pose i wanted so had a look at the first one and rounded the rear area up and noticed that some of the problem is the direction of the brush stroke

So had another go at a different pose, one problem with it is the edges not sure what to do it looks jagged but if i smooth them they look just as bad

but the technique is quite interesting all the different effects with different brushes etc dug out the pen tool (not sure which i prefer ) another problem i was having was doing the left side of the face (right handed ) so flipped the image and hey presto easier then when finished just flipped it back ( i know i am slow on the uptake )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winsome.jpg (96.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg winsmu.jpg (93.6 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 PM

palms1,
i like the second one. i wouldnt do a thing more with it. it looks great.

now, notice in your second one, the back end of the cat, and there's your secret to fixing the first one. i had to study all these for a while and finally made one tweak to your original to demonstrate what i mean. i dont consider this finished, but just to demonstrate. i took the eraser and just made ONE cut down his back side. just one, about 50-60 pixels wide and that's all. i didnt try to make this clean or anything; just wanted to show you what i mean. what'cha think?

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smudge-1-k-1.jpg (97.3 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 AM

Hi

Craig
I do see what you mean about the first one, i had been looking at a more rounded shape where you where looking at a flatter shape ? and i think you are right
although there is a part of the second one i don't particularly like (not the edges) but haven't said anything to see if it got any body else,( and just incase you go looking for it and find something else it is the left handside of the face it looks to chubby for me, but i think it could be the pose you think by now she would get it right ) The first one is still my favorite by far and will get it sorted printed and framed soon
thanks for the help

I will have to have a go at a landscape next with this style see how that goes

palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2005, 03:00 PM

well, the thing is, i only made the one swipe to sort of see for myself what i thought was off. that you might want to make that swipe more or less, or round the edges i left or whatever, might turn up something even better, but i do think the roundness was what was off.

and as for the second one, if it's too chubby, cut it off ultimately, it's your eye that has to be pleased, not mine (though i may covertly, secretly print one of these myself )

i do like the style and you've done a very good job with it. i look forward to seeing the landscape... after you finish the cat(s)

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 05:30 AM

hi

Craig
dont covertly print openly print with my permission

palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 08:00 AM

well, thank you!

you know, i dont really know exactly what this technique is. you refer to smudge painting and i sort of assumed you were using the smudge tool set to a certain style, opacity and size and doing strokes on your photo. and you also mentioned pulling this technque up from the archives, but from where? and do i have the method correct or is there more to it? Ro also mentioned that this tech isnt used that much any more but is somewhat replaced by others....umm, what are the others?

at any rate, give your cat a stroke for me. he's done a great job

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 09:43 AM

smudging

Craig you have got it right that's pretty much it

here's the link i found but none of the links within the thread are live

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...mudge+painting

So are you going to have a go ( i have a idea that you are psp but there shouldn't be any problems converting )

not to up on the other methods i have used the art history brush but not the stamp pattern, smudging will keep me amused for a while,
Well after the computers had a reboot, someone not mentioning names has deleted something they shouldn't have so a bit later will do a reboot

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 10:04 AM

hi palms (i'm dropping the 1)

thank you.

i do like the technique. i might try it on something down the road. right now i'm pretty much 'booked' on what i need to be doing, but i did want to understand at least the basics. so, thanks.

and yes, i'm currently using psp 7.xx and from what little i read in your link it would transfer ok. i dont have all the little tweaks on the smudge tool that photoshop seems to have, but i'm fairly good at improvising....sometimes

one of these days i'll go photoshop. i keep drooling at all the tools it seems to have, but i'm restraining myself for now. no sense trying to learn something new when i havent learned psp yet.

at any rate, it's been a delight and i hope nothing too serious was lost.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 06:47 AM

OK, OK, you guys got me to change me opinion about smudge painting. I have even edited my post at the start of the thread so as not to dismiss the technique as a thing of the past.

Kraellin, I had a try at smudging in PSP, but I couldn't seem to get it right. When you figure it out you cold post the coordinates for the PSP folks.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques