Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

smudge painting

Old 07-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1
here's the link i found but none of the links within the thread are live

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...mudge+painting

Palms
The Smudging Tips thread was started by Phyllis Stewart before she started her own photography/photo art website and forum (http://www.innographx.com ). Some folks are members of both RetouchPro and Innographx.

You can read the Smudging Tips WITH illustrative links to images here:
http://www.innographx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

Her links show the before and after images -- personally, I love the results of experienced smudging -- Phyllis's work is excellent, and Palm1 -- you're headed that direction. I think I'm going to practice again -- hand work is not my strong suit, but I'd love to get the results you, Phyllis, and other get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Ro,

i gave this a try, but i'm not sure i'm even in the right class with what i did. this would seem to be a very free form. but again, i'm even sure i did it right. this is a picture of a flower i took years ago. i used a small retouch 'push' brush on the petals and highlighted it and darked it with retouch/burn and retouch/dodge. on the leaf background i used a larger retouch push and smudge and burn and dodge and just went kinda nuts swirling things around. i varied the opacities and sizes quite a bit and the hardness.

but again, i'm not even sure this would fit with palm's excellent technique.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smude015-1-k-1f.jpg (93.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 01:37 PM

Well thanks I think

Thanks, CJ have been and looked at the page on innographx, What can i say they are well awesome, and boy do i have a long way to go ! ! ! ! saying that though it is enjoyable and do have another go. One thing i have learnt is that the photo makes a huge difference don't go for one with lots of little bits, the bigger the better
Well Craig hats of to you i like the picture and love the colours, Between you and me as a x psp7 person i re loaded the program (after reading Ro's message) and had a go and well Gave Up ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! the smudging does not work the same in both programs i have now deleted psp again and am a bit downhearted that a program i loved (from version 4) and stuck up for as being as good as ps well didn't quite live up to it now i'm using ps

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 02:03 PM

palms,

thank you, but i dont think mine is a very good duplicate of your technique either. yours seems to have more depth in the smudging and is done a bit finer. it looks almost like you had a thick layer of paint on a canvas and used a small rounded stick to drag through the paint. mine just looks flat by comparison. if that's because of psp vs ps, then here's yet another reason for me to upgrade

now, in all fairness to psp, i dont believe it's as good as ps, but i also know version 8 and 9 made some rather large leaps. i had a chance to test the demo for 8 or 9, i forget which, and was pretty amazed at how far it had come. the thing i didnt like with 'how far it had come' was that they changed the interface to one more like ps and that was a bit of a mistake in my mind. one of the few advantages psp had over ps WAS the interface. it was much simpler. but, i suppose if you keep adding features to a program the interface is bound to evolve also.

at any rate, psp is a great new to mid-level editor. i'll continue on with it for now until i feel i at least have the basics down pretty well. but, i also know i'm missing a great deal by not having ps, so i have to control the drool from time to time and bite my tongue every time a great technique is explained in ps terms. ah well, the price of interning

and palms, you're prolly right in removing psp again. but, you might want to get corel painter. the stuff you're doing seems perfect for that program combined with ps.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 02:28 PM

WOW!!! I had read what was left here of her post/tutorial and thought it interesting. But man, this woman has done some awesome stuff, and with the smudge tool alone! I am in love. After seeign the whole thing, examples and all. WOW WOW WOW. I love the cat, too. I am totally in love with this. Definitely have to practice! Thank you for bringing this up!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Samples

Not sure if these will help you at all Craig but i thought i would show you how i seem to get the "thick layer of paint"

1. is just smudged ( Done quickly )
2.With the usm used
3. with the custom filter used ( Sorry but absolutely no idea what that converts to in psp ) on top of the usm
4.with the usm used again on top of usm and the custom filter but sometimes this is to much ! ! ! ! !

Dawn i know how you feel they are really really good so have a go and let us know how you get on

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (30.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (37.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (55.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (66.9 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM

ok, so what do the marines have to do with this? u.s.m. ok, guess i dont know what usm stands for as it seems unlikely that you're painting with a marine.

and 1stLite, yes, i like it too. i may even have to print this one out on a custom paper technique i use for special prints.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
ok, so what do the marines have to do with this? u.s.m. ok, guess i dont know what usm stands for as it seems unlikely that you're painting with a marine.

Craig
USM can mean many things to many people, but rather than a university or a member of the U. S. Marine Corps, most folks here at RetouchPro simply mean the use of the UnSharp Masking filter for sharpening images.

However, painting with a Marine sounds like a lot of fun to me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marines in uniform.jpg (6.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 07-06-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 05:40 PM

lol cj but which end would you use?

(and thanks for clearing that up)

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
lol cj but which end would you use?
Craig

Each to his/her own, Craig,...