RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

smudge painting

Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 PM

smudge painting

looking through the archives i found a post on smudge painting and thought i would give it a go, problem was none of the links were live, so i am not sure what it should look like, had a go though what do you think ? does anybody know am i close ?
i will also post the original

ps i havent added any brushstrokes ( tried the crosshatch and quite like it) or textures yet

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...mudge+painting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smudge.jpg (93.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg original.jpg (86.2 KB, 186 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2005, 07:04 PM

Seems like you've got the hang of it pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1
... i havent added any brushstrokes ( tried the crosshatch and quite like it) or textures yet
As I had understood it, the streaks left by the smudging are supposed to mimick the brush strokes. So you wouldn't actually add anything, just enhance from streaks to strokes.

(cute - "streaks to strokes", got the title just got to write the book now!)

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 PM

[please, disregard this - my opinion has changed ]
BTW, the reason that it's difficult to find up-to-date links about smudge painting is (IMHO) because the folks have discovered other, better, methods to do the same thing.
The problem is that when smudging you lose the reference to the original - you can only smudge more, you can't recuperate what's lost.
[/disregard]

[new]If you like smudge painting then there ....[/new] Two other methods to look up (using Photoshop) are the "Stamp Pattern Impressionist" and the Art-History Brush - you should find links and even a tutorial for these.

Last edited by byRo; 07-06-2005 at 06:36 AM. Reason: My opinion changed....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2005, 08:55 AM

Thanks

Thanks Ro I will practice a bit more on this method (found it quite relaxing and a change from using a filter or action) I will also look up your other suggestions
thanks again
palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2005, 10:51 AM

palms1,

that's a great look!

i was wondering if you could put a background to it, something simple.

the one thing i'm wondering about too is, along the upper edge of the cat, the hair shows nicely with a feathering. but along the left lower edge of the cat, it's all rounded off with no feathering. is this part of the style? it looks cut off sort of.

as to the style and how to do it, i defer to Ro but it is a great look. i could easily see something like this hanging in a living room.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Hi

Hi Craig
Firstly this was just a have a go picture to see what was what, I had just opened the original again to start a "proper go" when your reply came through,

When doing the smudging firstly i done little strokes on the middle of the body and on the head area, then i tried "scrubbing" on the back area, the little strokes gave the better feathering appearance i think, plus as you can see on the original when i took the photo i missed part of the rear end and cloned that part on, Now i dont know wether to carry on with this picture or take another ( the model is always willing and able and dosent complain much either ) It also looks good printed out but not on glossy also am able to see bits where i missed smudging or done to much

As for the background i think one would look good and possibly a cushion of some sort but last year i bought a framed sketch of a tabby kitten which has no background and wanted to sort of copy the effect, ( it is black and white which is why i have also tried that )

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smudge1.jpg (97.7 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2005, 02:28 PM

hi palms1,

yes, i thought maybe this was a test run to get some feedback. so, ok

i do like the effect and in seeing your second post i can see why you left the background out. that's some great contrasts going on there.

but it's the back of the cat, the lower left that doesnt quite work for me. your 'scrubbing' method is fine for the internal portions, but the smaller, feathering of the upper part of the cat looks so much better....again, to me. i dont mean to be cruel here, but when i look at the left half i keep being reminded of a football the shape and cut-off edges just have that shape to it. the front portions just blend so much better with the backdrop and work naturally into it.

have you tried printing this on a canvas type paper, maybe a very light one? and i think this would make a great iron-on for a t-shirt also. a matte print would work also. just leave your image background as transparent and print it out on matte paper. same with the iron-on. it might also look interesting on an onion skin, but i'd do a test first.

i'll bet your subject works for peanuts, takes long breaks, and wears a 'got milk?' t-shirt

as for whether you start over or work with the existing, i'll be interested in seeing them.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 06:19 AM

Thanks

thanks craig for input

i will be back
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 10:23 AM

i risk over-critquing here, but i wanted to illustrate what i was saying. please understand that i really like the technique and would love to hear more about how you achieved it.

the first image here is your original with a simple frame/border.

the second is your original cropped a bit with a frame/border added. this one works for me. maybe it's the added part of the cat you cloned in that bugs me, so i just cropped it out again.

and the third is just another crop, tighter, for a different look, with a frame/border. the tighter crop is to highlight your technique and show it off a bit more. this one also works. it communicates the sleeping cat and the technique.

forgive me if i'm pushing a point i already made. i would just add that 2 and 3 are marketable (with or without the border) and that i'd be proud to display such a piece.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smudge1a.jpg (97.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (96.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Image5.jpg (96.7 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 01:44 PM

No worry's

[
CENTER]Don't worry Craig I am REALLY glad of your input I do think that it is the cloned in part that is really wrong, So i will try and get another shot over the next few days ( no doubt she will go to sleep outside now the sun is out )
I never would of though of cropping, it is like a different picture again and my preference is the third one [/CENTER]
ooooh it is exciting when something starts coming together nice
and like i said earlier i will be back

thanks Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques