RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first restoration and colorization

Old 07-10-2005, 07:55 PM

My first restoration and colorization

I was just finishing up my first restoration, and was wondering what some of you guys thought about it. I actually had to do this entire thing twice, because after I finished it the first time, I tried to apply a hue adjustment to one of my layers, and photoshop corrupted the entire file! (it added lots of white blocks at varying levels of opacity to every single layer of my file) I felt like killing photoshop, but I managed to get it done all over again, a little better than the first try, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse_original.jpg (74.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg horse_finished.jpg (82.8 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2005, 09:09 PM

You've done a fabulous job so far.....but don't stop here.
The colorization needs more work. If you can put the color detail into the rest of the image, that you did for the boy, you'll have a spectacular image. Specifically the horse's legs - they're not colored.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 12:00 AM

Very nicely done! I agree with Vikki about the horses legs, and perhaps the windows. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it TWICE. Good work.

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM

i'm guessing from vikki's and annabel's critiques that you must have changed your original final picture. the window looks ok to me and so do the horse's legs. so, i can only guess you took their advices and have now swapped in the fixes. if that's the case, please post new revisions in a new post; otherwise the rest of us get confused in the thread.

i would just a couple more comments to the picture. there is a line across the horse's nose that looks like a former crease mark in the picture. and the baby's face is pretty much one color giving him a tiny bit of a pasty look. a little more color in the cheeks or some light shadowing might make him look a little better. and yes, i know in the original he has almost no variation of white in his face, but i'd just add some in.

other than those two small points, i'd say you've done a marvelous job.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't really understand what you think I should do to the horse's legs though, is there something wrong with them being white?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 04:57 PM

What a great photo, and a good job of colorizing. I'm new to colorizing myself. What I've been told is that nothing should ever be left uncolorized, even if it is black, grey or white. Maybe give the lower legs a little color so that they become an off-white color, like the hair on the horse's forehead (I like that color very much).

Good luck!

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Exactly, (What Ken said). I thought the same thing about the hair on the horses head. That would be perfect. In looking at your pic a second time I think the windows look great.

Really beautiful careful job.

Annabel

Last edited by freddieanne; 07-29-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 06:41 PM

There has to be some color in the legs. Open any color image of a horse, use the color picker, and click on the "white" part of the leg (not the brightest spot but one that you know is white.)

Here's a small animation. I also added some varying colors around the leg (all grass is not one shade of green).
Attached Images
File Type: gif hoof.gif (35.9 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 06:46 PM

Ok I see what you are saying vikki. And I like what you did with the grass there, that will make it look a lot nicer. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques