Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first time working with color, any thoughts?

Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 PM
well, thank you, flora i guess that was sort of a cheap way for me to get a compliment

i dont completely follow all that you did. PS just has more tools than my psp 7 and i dont really know how they all translate. it's ok. what i did get was that you were using curves on selections. now, i dont know why i didnt think of that. i use selections on all sorts of other things, but had just never thought of doing it with curves.

i also noticed that the green channel was pretty clean and that in making a mask of the luminoisty you get all the brights on one layer to work on separately. so, that helps also.

i also tried your other technique of painting on a blank raster level and blurring it, but didnt have a lot of luck with that.

i can get almost all of the other faces ok. it's just that woman in the foreground's face that i have trouble with. in fact, this even goes back to that one picture we did with the young boy where half his face was blown out and i was trying to clone paint it in and you did something else. it seems to be a problem area for me. i'll keep working on it, though. i've got about 3 or 4 versions going so far

half the trouble seems to be that i'm studying volkswagons, but all i have available in manuals is for cadillacs. ah well, eventually i'll remedy that

thanks, flora

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Ugh! You ever have one of those moments? The kind where you just want to smack yourself upside the head? Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right now.

I saw the advice about using selections, and I had planned to do so after getting the rest of the image correct, but I didn't really pay attention to what you were saying. I have come to realize that the only way to fix this thing is to work with portions of the image right off the bat. There are two separate problems in this image (well, two major ones, anyway): the color cast and the blown out skin tones. The fading of the print seems fairly even, what with the entire image having turned yellow, but I neglected to make the distinction between that problem and the problem of the poor lighting conditions--my grandmother's face isn't white 'cause of the fading, it's white 'cause of the flash, or some such thing. That problem was evident in the original photo, the fading came later.

Talk about being a dope! I've started work using this newfound knowledge, and will let you know how it goes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques