RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first photoshop collage

Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 PM

My first photoshop collage

Whattaya'll think? Sorry about all the compression noise, had a haaard time getting it to size to post here, but big enough so you could actually see it. Why is that, anyways? I tried the 600 x 800 thing at 72 dpi and it was still HUGE.

Anyways, any input on this would be much appreciated. I am trying to learn the actions thing for frames in making these collages. I have usually just used some other program for my collages, but I hate that if you save it in that program as a jpeg it gets all blurry. This is alot more work, but maybe it is worth it?

Me, my fiance, my 2 kids (1.5 and 4.5), my mom, my sister and her son (2.5) all went to New Orleans this past weekend. Took the kids to the zoo and aquarium. I am planning to make several collages out of the 170-some-odd pics I took and put them together in scrapbooks for the kids.

Again, I will be grateful for any input here. And I woudl love to know - is there an easier way to do this? lol Thanks!

Dawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carosel collage small for web and email.jpg (98.6 KB, 117 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM

Nice Job, Dawn!

What program are you using to put the pic together?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM

Hi Dawn,

Nice Collage.

Might have been an idea to keep the same frame round the smaller pics, to tie it together (I like the one round the picture of Tyler best), but the overall effect works for me.

Look forward to seeing more of them.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks, Swampy. I used for this Photoshop CS. But I usually use somethign called Print Shop Essentials (or somethign like that). It is a heck of alot easier to use it, but like I said saving it to jpeg format it loses all its crispness in that program. I absolutely cannot print in any other program besided that one, it just looks plain bad!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I thought about going back to change that too. Alot of that was me trying different things in all the actions I downloaded the other day ( and finally got to work - lol). I think you are right though, that they need that connection.

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM

well, you did a remarkable job on putting together the collage. but, the cropping on the individual kids is quite small. put them more to the front by cropping the picture more. right now, you're highlighting the carosel animals, not the kids. you want it the other way around but again, the overall collage job is really excellent!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 02:10 PM

Thanks Craig. I know what you are saying, and under normal circumatances I would say yeah you are right. I still think about hte one of Tyler that it needs ot be cropped tighter. Other than that I was trying to show the one each of them was riding and them riding it too. Remember, this is for the kids' scrapbooks, for the most part. They want to see their animals - lol

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM

good point

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2005, 05:44 AM

Dawn,

Really nice job, but I would also keep the frames around all the pics the same. I really like how the elephant is cut out on top of the smaller pics, that's really cute! The cropping on the picture of Tyler isn't quite right, there's too much of the ceiling visible, and there's something about how the zebra's leg hits the elephant's ear that, colorwise, doesn't work for me.

Apart from that, a really cute collage, I'm loving the little guy on the monkey.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques