RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Jacky

Old 08-05-2005, 10:05 AM

Lightbulb Jacky

Hello all,

This is one of my works that i did for a girl that wants to be a model some day. I did this shoot indoors, and then i photoshopped it. Then i created this final image.

So some critique about this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

AG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tf_studio_8x10_v4_07a.jpg (52.6 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 03:22 PM

nice. a little dark around the eyes, maybe, but otherwise good. and i like the added touch of the overlain filmstrip.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Hi AG. Nicely done. I agree with Craig that perhaps the eyes should be opened up a bit. Also, there appears to be pools of Magenta on her face and neck.
BTW, I agree with your signature. When I die, I want others to look at me and say "He looks like shit! "

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 09:11 PM

I hate not giving much of a different opinion, but I also agree with Craig, and Dave.

The image is lacking pop to it, and opening up the eyes more might be all it needs.

There is quite alot of magenta in her skin, but for some reason, it dosen't look bad to me. It kinda goes with the background, and mood of the image.

I don't like the dark spot on her neck.

I do like the idea, and creativity. A few minor tweaks, and I think you will have a winner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 PM

I guess I get to be the jerk then

I'd drop the background, it takes too much attention away from the model.

Her skin looks a little oily, so I'd blend back the highlight on her cheek.

For some reason, the dynamic range reminds me of digital, so I might add some noise and do a little more color correction.

I'd definitely lighten underneath her eyes.

Cute girl, just wish she wasn't on that background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 06:32 PM

Without knowing what "look" you were going for, generally speaking, there are a few things I would have done differently. However, my tastes are different, so bear that in mind when reading my critique.
As the others have said, the background is too strong, and the first thing I noticed (instead of the girl). Same goes with her "name". Generally, a lot of strong colors that don't really work well together.
The image overall is very dark (montior calibrated?), and muddy looking.
Composition wise, I'm not sure about the film strip. Seems it has as much visual weight as the model, and I would probably choose just one main focal point.
Here are some changes I've made, working from your image. My goal was to brighten the image, clean up color issues, tone down color schemes, and bring the focus more on the model.
To get some ideas for future sittings, there are tons of model and actress images on the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nnnn.jpg (92.6 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 09:05 AM

Thanks to all that have posted thier comments. I an now realizing that the backgroud is an issue. I will be getting rid of it, as it is a distrator to the eye, and we don't appreciate the model much.

What i did was buy several new background, and this was one of them. I will be posting some more critiques of my other backgrounds. I need to keep those that are considered to be more suitable for picture taking.

Monitor was calibrated, however this image was edited on a LCD screen that i thought was calibrated. I will make sure it's correctly calibrated for next use.

I may have to little lights, i use still lights, i don't use strobes but the flash for my camera.

Once again, thank you all for your honesty. I really appreciate that.

Regards,

AG...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 AM

vikki,

very nice job on the model herself! that's exactly what it needed. very nicely done.

personally, i kind of liked the background, so a small desaturation would probably have been enough for my tastes there.

and i took the film strip as a sort of mini-resume'. she's a young person looking to break into the modeling biz, so it was ok in my book.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Wow vikki!

That looks great.

Always after reading your posts, and viewing your work, I realize I have so much to learn.

I loved the skin tutorial that you wrote, and I have been wondering if you have any other tutorials on the web, that deal with retouching work?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques