Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

inspired by NancyJ tutorial

Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen
I thought I'd give it a try.

Played with the hair inspired by a tutorial I just read, also eyebrows.
Tried to smooth the skin per MBChamberlain.
Enlarged the upper lip per Cyber Cat.
Eyes per Johnson tutorial on this forum.

Just a copycat

Larry
Larry,

I'd be interested in reading the hair and eyebrow tutorials you used to do this. I like what you have done with the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 02:54 AM

rnbluvva

The information for hair cloning is from a sample chapter of a book. There is much more covered and the chapter is quite extensive.

Beauty Retouching in Photoshop

* By Suzette Troche-Stapp.
* Sample Chapter is provided courtesy of New Riders

The online sample chapter is:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=6&rl=1
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 10:02 AM

Smile retouch

Hi!

Retouching is a very personal work. Depends on your point of view as a retoucher and the art directors view of his work.

I just took a look at your post. You did a nice job.

- I think you could work a bit more on her lips. I think you lost a bit of volume on the upper lip with the liquify.

- The skin job is nice. I think you could go a little easier on it though. i t tends to a plastic texture. You could also mask the nostril and the contours on the nose, chin and ear with a a very soft brush (about 20% pressure). This will solve the blurry feel of the skin treatment. Try and put some texture over the treatment as well to reduce the plastic feel.

- In my opinion i think you could go easy on the eye. the colour doesn't feel real and, as you compare with her right eye, although it is in shadow you notice that you didn't give it a similar treatment (respecting the shadow values of it).

Well, Like I said in the beginning, it is all very personal. You have done a good job. Congratulations.

Cheers!!

George Rutherford
www.seagullsfly.com
www.fotolog.net.rutherford
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 11:36 AM

ok... let me start by saying thank you all very much for your input, comments, critiques!!!!
MBChamberlain thank you for your tutorials!!
rnbluvva u wlcm u did awesome job (see another thread) you just need to get a lil more familiar with liquify tool (im looking for some good tutorials for you, deff. let you know if i'll find any)
leuallen on retouching. we all started by coping and trying to figure out how things are. so once again love your work!!
rutherford thank you very much. lip volume hmmm... there was none to begin with, so i know for sure i added some, but now im looking at it i think you right and i should add some more.(its just when you working on an image, and see before and after right there, you tend to loose it... meaning you can clearly see improvements you made, that is why its always a good idea to ask someone else's opinion). skin- note to myself* about realistic finish(thank you) funny thing tho i always add noise, maybe not enough. as of skin texture i always go for almost plastic finish (think Lancôme ads) unless i told not to. eyes -yeah i know dont look real, but i just liked look of it at that moment, still eye envy (wish i had eyes like that lol)
once again thank you all.

Last edited by Cyber Cat; 08-19-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 12:16 PM

leuallen - lips revisited

Revisited the lips. When I completed the lips, I was so happy with the result of the Liquify tool that I did not proceed further.

I now see that the top lip looks flat with no contour, not that the original had much to start out with. The Liquify tools reduces this even more, like stretching a colored ballon - the more it is stretched, the less intense the color becomes.

I felt that the problem is with shadows, there are none at the bottom of the top lip. This makes it look flat. I created a new layer, blending Overlay, and filled with 50% gray. Painting on this layer with black darkens, white lightens. Using a small soft brush with black at 5%, I created some shadowing at the base of the top lip. As with most operations done at high enlargement, we tend to overdo the effect we are working on. I zoomed the picture out to full size reduced the opacity of the shadow layer to a more natural setting.

But I am not sure that I like the result. The attachment shows the lips before and after the shadowing. What do you think. Am I on the right track?

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gal-Lips-LL.jpg (87.5 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 01:03 PM

comments

well, like I've told you. retouching is a very personal kind of job.

george rutherford
www.seagullsfly.com
www.fotolog.net/rutherford
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 01:11 PM

leuallen great job you r deff. on a right track. now try to add some texture to the upper lip from the lower.
here is what you do:
make selection around half of the lower lip ctrl+j
flip vertical, move on top of the upper lip reduce opacity to about 30%
turn of this layer
make selection inside of the lips on the main layer
turn texture layer back on
do select inverse (ctrl+shift+I)
hit backspace
do the same thing for another part of the upper lip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gal-Lips-LL[1].jpg (31.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujo
...the green is too metal looking. Almost like metal flake paint on a car.
Actually, I was quite digging that metallic eye shadow.
Cyber Cat... how'd you do that? It looks coture cool!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 07:22 PM

rnbluvva hey
I think Bujo was talking about iris color, as of makeup:
Make wide selection around both eyes, ctrl+j (to copy selection to the new layer) name it “unsharp mask”.
Create a new layer set call it “eye shadow” and drag ur “unsharp mask” layer into it.
Filter-->sharpen-->unsharp mask (choose extremely high settings something like 110 for amount, ~5 –radius and ~0)
Hold down alt and bring up channel mixer adjustment layer (check ”group with previous window”, now move sliders till you have metallic effect.
Collapse the “eye shadow “ layer set. Apply an adjustment layer. Fill mask with black, and start painting ur “eye shadows” onto the eyelid.
Set mode to overlay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 PM

Cyber Cat
Thanks for explaining how you did this. I think it looks rad.
I also see you showed how to give more texture for the lips... that is the issue I am working on now in the other thread. I will try to use the technique you refer to here.

Thanks

Larry- is that the Glitter Guru book? I think the chapter is called 'Fantasy Hair' or something like that? I saw that a few weeks ago. Will go back to it and give it a whirl.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques