RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Colorizing baby pic

Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 PM

amber,

you're welcome.

as for psp and translating, the 'soften' brush is part of the smudge tools. it's an adjustable brush that blurs as you 'paint'. the 'push' is also of those tools. it's like a heavy duty smudge brush.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 07:36 AM

Craig,

Thanks for the extra help. You know way back when (Ok like 5 years ago.. ) I started out as a PSP user, loved it too. But my husband INSISTED I use Photoshop because "all the pros use it". So I learned (slowly) how to use photoshop. It was a pretty frustrating thing to learn at the time! But I am glad I stuck with it, especially since CS2 is out now. A lot has changed in 5 years. But I still wonder about PSP every now and then (mostly when reading one of your posts!) Thanks for the help too.

Duv- It is a fingerprint. I wasn't sure how to get rid of them, they are all over the negative. And I really wasn't in the mood to clone out every single one, so if you have a faster and pain free way of getting rid of them I would love to hear it!

Just a curious- The photo is from around 1955-1956. The negative was large, not a regular 35mm, probably around the size of a 2x3. What type of camera would this type of negative come from? I don't believe Medium Format but I could be wrong- Anyone?

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 09:13 AM

amber,

you're welcome.

and, if we compare 'dog years', where one year equals seven to a dog, to 'computer years' as regards the growth of technology, then one year is like about 15 to computers. so, your 'way back when. ok, five years' remark would be the equivalent of 75 years

i started with deluxe paint III on my amiga 2000. loved it. when i eventually moved to a pc there was nothing as good. i finally found psp 4.12 and used it on and off for years. this was the shareware version. i dont buy a lot of shareware as i tend to try it, use it once, and never use it again. but i finally realized with psp 4.12 that i WAS using it more than once and that i liked it. so, when it finally started selling in the retail stores i bought it. that was psp 7. i just recently moved to 9. in fact, i bought 9 since coming here to RP and needed something to catch up a bit. 9 is still nowhere as complete as PS and i still get lost in PS tutorials, but when you compare psp 9 to ps cs2 and then compare the price tags, i believe psp 9 might be the better bang for the buck, especially if you're not in the 'pro' class of artists around here, and especially as a learning program. and, when psp 10 comes out, i'll be getting that also. eventually, i'll most likely go to ps and use both, but for now psp suits my needs and pocketbook

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Amber, I use vinegar and water, 1 to 2o, rub the neg with lens tissue and hang to dry. Photoflow and water is better but I doubt you would have that kicking around unless you're into negative developing.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Duv- Thanks! I will have to try that when I get my hands on the negative again. No, I'm not into developing my own negatives either. Amatuer photographer taking classes to go pro,yes, but I am a digital fan so I doubt it's in the near future either!

Thanks for all your help!

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Amber,

My mom used an old box camera from about 1945 to about 1958 or 9 and it produced large negatives. I was lucky enough to get a bunch (my sisters absconded with most of the actual the pictures) and they scanned wonderfully. I know nothing about cameras tho so I couldn't tell you kind or film size. the negatives are about 1 1/2 X 2 inches. But your picture was inside and I think Mom's only took photos outside....

Craig ...Me too!!! an Amiga 2000 and Deluxe Paint were the best! I just moved up to Photoshop CS2 and it's almost as good. My Amiga is still in the attic. With my Commodore 64 and maybe even my Vic 20. The Amiga was a great machine for it's time!

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
The Amiga was a great machine for it's time!
yup

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques