RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Loverly's SHOW N TELL:Grandparents restoration

Old 09-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Wink

Kurt,
Thanks! Yes, I am on a LCD screen which might be part of the problem cause it is very difficult to see that yello stuff! I see what you mean after I tilted my screen way back. Looks better though now that you did the lil desatruate trick! I'll have to give it a try in the morning when my eyes are fresher!

Thanks Bunches!

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2005, 09:36 PM

One other thing to keep in mind - it can be very difficult to get true color representation from an LCD display. This may be why others are noticing a blue/magenta cast in these restorations. And, you may not be seeing other member's pics accurately if you're viewing them on your LCD. I had this same problem a while ago and bought a CRT monitor (which I keep calibrated). I was amazed at the difference! I was always very happy with the quality of my LCD display, but the photos look so much better now on the CRT. Now I always run in dual-display mode - with Photoshop running full screen on the CRT.

Unfortunately, unlike a CRT monitor, most consumer grade LCD displays cannot be calibrated for true color presentation.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM

I had a try too. I increased saturation and redness of the skins. Babies are not yellow (unless you feed them carrots ). I also increased foreground contrast, taking care not to blow the highlights.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me-and-BJ-panpan1.jpg (98.1 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 AM

Kurt,
I gave the desaturation a try on the blanket. Also, I took out a bit of the magenta. Seems to be looking a bit better and almost ready to print?

Pierre, Thanks for trying and you too Caitlin!

Loverly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby_retouch.jpg (95.0 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Thumbs down

Here is a pick that I used Heyrads techniques on that he gave out in the business classified forum. The photo is only from a lil point and shoot 4 pix minolta so the quality isn't that great to start with but his technique worked great and solved the dark like problems on this poorly lit photo. The photographer sure was happy with it! Give it a try you will like it! Thanks Heyrad!
Loverly
Quote:
After I remove the pimples and do light spotting on an image, I create a layer set and call it "D&B". In that layer set I create(in this order from bottom to top) adjustment layers... Curve(LIGHTEN), Curve(DARKEN),HUE(DESAT),CURVE(CONTRAST). On the LIGHTEN curve, I lighten the mids and fill the layer with black to hide. With this layer, I'll paint with white at about 1-5% depending to lighten dark spots on the skin. on the DARKEN curve I darken the mids and fill with black as well so that I can use this to darken light spots on the skin-- the goal here is to even out the skin tones. The HUE layer is used to desaturate the image. Lord knows we get tired of looking at a monitor. Desaturating helps my eyes when I'm working on fine detail. The CONTRAST curve is helpful to display the dark/light spots better-- again for my old eyes... I select a point on the CONTRAST curve that represents the dark/light spotting of the skin and I pump an S curve in it to bring out the contrast so I can see it better... After zooming in to about elevendy billion percent to work on the fine points of the skin, I begin to zoom out and use larger brushes... When I'm finished and happy with the results. I turn off the CONTRAST and HUE curves and VIOLA.... total control. Now you can color adjust your little heart out and not effect the dodging and burning. You've got total control of the dark and light curves and you can easily revisit them with your little paint brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me_before_after.jpg (98.9 KB, 207 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 04:02 PM

loverly,

on the pic with the children, select or mask the boy and run a high pass sharpen on him. or, get stroker's lum frequencies plugin (in the software forum) and try that. he seems a bit out of focus (the boy, not stroker ).

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2005, 08:18 PM

Ok Craig,
I'll do that before I print!

Thanks,

Loverly
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques