Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

"Doll-Like Pictures"

Old 09-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangstacey
Please let me know what you think.

I pulled my website because I was afraid some of these people that were bashing me would visit my personal webpage and start something. Here are the pictures. The file name web is my finished product....I still need some help. I didn't want to cause any trouble but decided to pull my pictures so nobody could continue bashing the child pageant pictures plus my friend had a fit when she found out that I had her child on my personal webpage so I changed it to a non-informative page.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/dollpic00/doll/
Really sorry we all made you feel that way and I doubt that was the actual intention, apologies from me and I would presume others too. You have to acknowledge this is just another market which has a demand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Thanks Cass

Let me know what you all think about the pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 03:50 PM

I have a question, are you scanning these photos in or are they from a digital camera? Just wondering....

~Amber~

Last edited by Dreamypix; 09-29-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 04:19 PM

My personal opinion on your retouches is that there is still too much contrast in the photos. You have to fix the tone and contrast first before you can work on the rest of the photo. It doesn't make sense to try to retouch a bad picture without fixing the bad photography/bad scan first. Until you do that, it's just not going to look right. As you will see in my attachment, I have not corrected anything but the contrast, and by just doing that you will see that the girl has green eyes and it magically smoothes her skin out. Just my humble opinion-

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before and After Contrast.jpg (77.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 05:30 PM

Hey Dreamy, they are scanned in and emailed to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 06:47 PM

So I guess we can blame the scanner for the high contrast then. I'm not that educated about them, but I do know that they tend to do that, that is why I had to ask. Maybe someone out there has some scanning pointers they would like to share?

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Pictures

Hey yall I have four pictures I have been working on. Let me know what you think about the editing, and touchups.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 05:29 AM

On the second pic I really like the 2nd Touch up, it has also lost a little of the greeny look. A very flattering pic. Unfortunately with the third set of pics, I still feel the mouth detracts from the pics however I prefer the last one, but note that the neck/chest area is not of the same tonings as the face, but in saying that, I am pretty sure that is one you haven't finished with yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 01:39 PM

mustangstacey,

The PM wouldn't let me write as much as I wanted

After checking out your site this is what I noted:

The lighting/color is off. They look like they're under florescent lights. You might want to adjust that and warm them up a bit.

The samples a bit small (low res) in resolution so I cannot really judge on the eyes/lashes, but the lashes look clumpy (might just bee the size) I recommend finding a nice sample of natural lashes and making a tracing of them. Adjust w/blurs and your eraser to make them the way you want. Then save them on file to use later.

The color of the skin must be uniform w/out extreme lights or darks. You can adjust using levels and painting in overlays. Don't use blurs to smooth the skin. I use the healing brush the most and a really, really light airbrush. One of these babies should take you no less than 1 hr and 1/2 to complete - more time if your new

Also, you need to remove any stray hair that overlaps the background. Lips should not have any jagged edges and be symetrical.

Hopefully this helps some,

Sarah

BTW, Here is a sample from one of your orginals on the far left (I had to hurry and the eyes are not done), the orginal in the middle, and yours on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example72.jpg (99.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg orig.jpg (98.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg girlbluehat.jpg (99.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by grafx; 09-30-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques