RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

"Doll-Like Pictures"

Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM

Pictures

Please let me know what you think.

I pulled my website because I was afraid some of these people that were bashing me would visit my personal webpage and start something. Here are the pictures. The file name web is my finished product....I still need some help. I didn't want to cause any trouble but decided to pull my pictures so nobody could continue bashing the child pageant pictures plus my friend had a fit when she found out that I had her child on my personal webpage so I changed it to a non-informative page.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/dollpic00/doll/

Last edited by mustangstacey; 12-06-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 11:58 AM

Stacey,

Are you going for a pageant retouch? In all honesty, this particular photo is in high contrast and has extremely harsh lighting and I think that should be remedied first before you begin retouching. I think you would have done a really great job, but the contrast/harsh lighting makes it difficult to tell what you have done with the retouch on this particular photo. I gave it a whack to see if this problem can be remedied and it can be- see attachment. I'm not sure what you are working with (I am currently with Photoshop 7 until I upgrade the pc) so, If you would like for me to list the steps I would be glad to help.

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4-and-after-Pageant-touchw.jpg (91.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg originallilgirlPageantweb.jpg (80.2 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 12:14 PM

Honestly, recognising this photo from another post, the eyes no longer look natural and despite the addition of teeth to the smile, it is not flattering. Personally when looking at a photo of another, thought it would be worth while to pinch the lips as in the original the girl looks rather miffed or thin lipped or both and I have not been able to satisfactorily been able to warp into a smile
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 12:17 PM

I am sorry but why turn a child into a doll?

I will never ever understand why a parent does not cherish their child and keep that child looking like a child, sorry to me pagents are taking the childhood fast, that is one very beautiful child, so why its not kept to look natural i will never understand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
I am sorry but why turn a child into a doll?

I will never ever understand why a parent does not cherish their child and keep that child looking like a child, sorry to me pagents are taking the childhood fast, that is one very beautiful child, so why its not kept to look natural i will never understand.
I totally agree, however, there is obviously a market out there and a requirement to be fulfilled, sad isn't it?

Looking at the original photo I have to wonder if it is a displaced pout or a bit of resentment in her face

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-23-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 PM

Pageant pics have always been a slippery topic around here but, please, let's not forget to respect each other..

There are a lot of mum's who want this service done;
There is a big market for this service;
There are talented professionals (including Amber) working in this area.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 05:46 PM

I wish you luck, i know its a big market in America, and here in England i don't think there is a huge market for it, shes a pretty little girl, but i understand that these events are done, and brilliant prizes are won at them.

Good luck with your Pageant pic hun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2005, 06:29 PM

Thanks Ro, for the kind words and I agree- it is a very touchy subject.

Stacey-

I went through alot of steps to get to the final image, but the most important step would be to fix the contrast and the harsh lighting First thing- There also ended up being a colorcast as well (Or it's the new moniter?)

To fix the contrast in the original photo I took the following steps-

Open Document- Duplicate background layer, Now on the Duplicate Background Layer press the following keys, Ctrl+Alt+~, now press Ctrl+J and this should make a new layer with just the mid tones selected, Now change the mode to multiply- Lower opacity to 50%. Now, make sure you are working on the Duplicate Background Layer again- Ctrl+Alt+~, after you make the selection, inverse the selection (you can do this by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I), now press Ctrl+J, now you have selected the shadows, change the mode of the shadows to Screen. Now that you have done this, Select All (Ctrl+A) under the menu Edit>Copy Merged. Now paste, now you can work with the levels/curves to help brighten it up a bit.

Now I am sure there is an easier way (prob with curves) but I feel like I have the most control this way. And until I learn a better-this is it.

I will have to finish the rest of the steps in a bit, the boys are starving around here. Gotta feed em.

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg originallilgirllevels.jpg (93.7 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 08:35 AM

My prototype doll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4-and-after-Pageant-touchw copy.jpg (88.3 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2005, 11:53 AM

~~~Amber that is perfect!~~~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques