RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

A Glamour Retouch Project

Old 09-30-2005, 08:45 AM

Hi Steve,

I like it but thought it was just a hair overdone. The skin was smoothed to the point where it didn't fit the scene. (Lighting) Try backing off just a tad, and adding a little grain into the image to help keep the skin from looking to plastic. Check out my gallery and the original from retouching challenge 8 for a better explaination of how I go at working on skin (although my work is more the "Cover Girl" look than Vogue the difference is more in color saturation than anything else).

Take care,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marie-org[1].jpg (38.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 09:24 AM

This looked like a bit of fun and so taking on board other's suggestions I copied the layer and applied it in screen mode, then duplicated the layer again and gaussian blurred it to soften it a little and again overlaid in screen mode and reduced the opacity, other than that just a little lightening of the Forehead, removal of gaussian blur from eyes and removal of the hair over the ear. Personally I do prefer stronger colours, and think the original retouch of this photo by SteveB is pretty good depending on the look you are trying to achieve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marie-org copy.jpg (69.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 09-30-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Glamour Cont

Hi Guys. I'm so glad everyone took an interest in my glamour project and made so many positive comments. The different approaches you all took was awesome! The hair near the ear was also bothering me a bit, but I went ahead and left it there on my makeover. I decided it is also best to add a bit of noise/grain as a final layer. I have many options to look at now and will post some other makeovers as they get completed. regards steveb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 01:33 PM

gonna add another comment here. i've looked at all the images posted thus far, and the thing is, not a one of them is 'wrong'. they are all just different looks, different lighting, different styles, different skin tones and so on. that's one of the things in glamour retouching that is important to remember. clients all have different tastes. the real key here is to find out what that taste is. from there, the work is relatively easy. it's like a singer booking a custom date for a different audience each time. sometimes the audience might want the blues. another audience might want jazz. and yet another might want rock. you might sing all the same songs each time, but the style/rendition/arrangement could be different each time to suit. and that's one of the things i love about this site. we've got a lot of different viewpoints to learn from and that is going to translate to being able to accomodate a lot of diverse tastes that clients may express.

so, well done to all, and vive' la difference!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
With the light coming form below, her hair flowing up and the blood rushing to her head, the model looks like she was photographed upside down and the photo flipped vertically.
Pierre, I could be wrong, but it appears this model is laying down. I'm observing the white duvet-like texture next to her head.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureeno
Pierre, I could be wrong, but it appears this model is laying down. I'm observing the white duvet-like texture next to her head.

Maureen
I agree. I think she was lying down with the lights closer to her feet than to her her head. Her hair is pushed forward and up by the bed.

Turning her head vertical doesn't work well, but I seem to be the only one to think so.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques