RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

A Glamour Retouch Project

Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 PM

Smile A Glamour Retouch Project

Hi Folks. Here is a before and after retouching job I had to do. The original pic was shot digitally and was hi-rez but needed some definite work. I smoothed the model out with a variety of layer/mask techniques and experiments in Photoshop 7 and this was my result. I wanted to bring out the dark sweater and lighten the hair with a screen layer mode to get a sense of contrast. I was going for a "Vogue" type look as going to print. I used layers and airbrush and blend modes. Any tips and critiques are welcome. I have a passion for retouching and work at it to improve the work everyday. Thank you for your time. regards steveb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marie-org.jpg (34.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg marie-rt2.jpg (36.1 KB, 232 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 02:02 PM

yup. that's the vogue look. a bit 'pasty' for my tastes, but that's how the vogue look is. nice job

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 02:15 PM

Glamour cont

Hey Craig. Thanks for the advice. Since I have the org image, what other direction could I go to get a different look? I'm self taught, except I have Katrin Eismann's first retouching book which has been invaluable for my education. I'm about out of ideas, working and reworking the image until I can make it look professional. There are so many levels of retouching and styles. I see some with a very mannequin slick look which certain mags want and a more grainy, old Penthouse style in the fashion mags. I'm always experimenting. regards steveb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 02:33 PM

nice job , but i didnt like couple of things (the skin is too orange (for my taste) unless u going for this look or i should adjust my monitor lol )) and another thing u cut off one eyebrow. again not sure. maybe u ment to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marie-org[1].jpg (79.3 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 02:57 PM

steveb,

actually, i didnt mean my comments as a critique at all. i think you matched the 'vogue' look pretty darn well. it's just not personal favorite look. but you did it well. like you said, there are a lot of styles for mags. now that you've got that one, try another Vogue would probably love it; Life magazine, not so much

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 03:14 PM

I know nothing about the Vogue look or glamour but a couple of thoughts anyhow. The overall lighting seems way too flat. There's very little range in tonality for the skin. I selected her left cheek area from the nose and lightened slightly. Selected her right cheek bone and darkened slightly to give bit of a blush look.
I would only do very minor skin smoothing to keep a bit of skin texture (not Vogue though I guess). I changed the highlights in the eyes to 1 o'clock. I prefer it but probably just me. I agree that the skin might be a tad too yellow.
I do like the subtle detail you pulled out in the sweater and hair.

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-marie-org.jpg (75.7 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 04:44 PM

With the light coming form below, her hair flowing up and the blood rushing to her head, the model looks like she was photographed upside down and the photo flipped vertically.

You did a good job with the glamour look and Duv's repositioning of the catchlights helps, but I still think she does not look natural standing up. You could maybe to reorient 90 degrees?

I would also lose the sideburn.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 05:55 PM

Glamour Look Cont

It was great having all of your input. I am going to try some of your suggestions and go in another direction. Interesting comment about the catch lights. It was mentioned I caught the Vogue look, which was my intent. I am aware of how certain models are photographed and retouched which seems to give the illusion of flatness, reddish skin tones and a few other things. I go through a variety of fashion mags and pick up a few ideas. What would really help me would have an art director circle the spots that they want changed and try to match it, but unfortunately, I don't have access to anyone like that for now. I'll keep at it. regards steveb
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 PM

As Panpan has said, the first thing that struck me was the hair in front of the ear - not an attractive look. I've just taken Cybercat's version, and removed the unwanted hair - I've also tweaked the lip colour - a personal preference, but I found the colour a bit harsh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marie-cait.jpg (99.7 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 PM

ok. we're all talking about the vogue look here, so i thought i'd go pull one. they've changed a bit since last i looked at a vogue mag, though some are still somewhat familiar as the look i remember. vogue often had a 'pancake' look and sometimes they went for a pale look and sometimes a flat look. this one is somewhat typical of the less-color-is-better look. and i purposely pulled one that mentioned 'trailing hair', since that came up in this thread also.

Craig

oh, and this came off their online site: http://www.style.com/vogue/ and if you go there and look at their current cover pic, you'll see a great example of the pale look on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vogue-look-1-k-1.jpg (93.3 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques