RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

cityscape

Old 10-11-2005, 02:37 PM

cityscape

Hi guys,

I've been working on a new piece and I'm getting to the point where it's almost done. I thought I'd put it up here to get some suggestions as well as some critiques. This was all done entirely photoshop without any photographs or references.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.jpg (97.1 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 03:06 PM

you drew this freehand from scatch in ps? ok, i'm impressed!

if you're going for photorealism, you're darned close. at first, i had two impressions (if that's what you're going for). one, there seemed to be a lack of texutre overall. but, i looked a bit closer and did find some in the walls. the floors look good, like polished smooth stone of some sort, so wouldnt be much texture there. the bases to the light panels look like concrete, but they dont have any texture like concrete would, but then again, maybe they're not concrete. so, not a biggie there.

the other thing was contrast. i pulled your image and ran it with nothing more than a contrast/lighten adjustment layer. i ran it at 10 light/20 contrast and 20 lighten and 40 contrast. you have to lighten it up a bit or your lose detail in the shadows. this gives it just a bit more punch.

also, when viewing this up close in psp, i got the distinct feeling this was lacking something, like some element was missing. nothing wrong with the picture itself; it just didnt seem complete, like maybe folks shld be viewing something in the light boxes or something, that there was a story to this image, but that it hadnt quite unfolded yet. just an impression as i was looking at it.

overall, i am impressed. if i could do this sort of thing i'd quit eating, quit going out and quit having sex and just sit at the computer and do this all day so, dont pay too much mind to the critique

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks Craig,

I also think there's something missing. I'm not sure what though. I thought maybe people or something more organic but I'm not sure. That's part of why I put it up here. Thanks for the critique. I will definitely consider the texture issues as well as the contrast bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM

you're welcome.

what you've got here is called a 'shot', as a friend of mine would call it. it's not quite a complete image until it tells the story. and the story here isnt quite complete yet. this 'shot' would work well as part of montage, for instance, a series of shots that when put together do tell a story. for example, if you had several shots of the same scene, but each showed a step in the aging of the building, from new to run down, that would a story with the one image you posted being a shot in the montage. that make sense?

i really do like it. it's very well rendered and i like the geometry and the lighting. that little glow around the boxes is great. and the skylight effect is also quite convincing. it just doesnt seem 'whole' yet.

so, i'd love to see what you come up with

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Wow. The technique is exceptional. Nice job!

But if you're going for realism, you're going to have to have some dirt. Maybe not a lot, but you simply won't find a surface in the real world that doesn't have some kind of variation across it, either in surface smoothness, color or texture. Even a freshly mopped floor will have mop streaks across it. Where floors and walls meet, dirt tends to accumulate, and if three surfaces come together in a corner, there's more yet. A smooth surface is going to have fingerprints, smears, imperfections in the flatness of the plane. It's not just a matter of making a few grunge masks (http://www.dvgarage.com/ has some doozies for free, by the way). A little dirt never hurt, but I think it's subtle variations across the board that are missing. We're accustomed to the small imperfections that surround us; when they're missing, we might not be able to pinpoint what's wrong, but we know it doesn't quite look real.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM

Edgework,

I completely agree about the dirt. I just don't want to add it until the image is "locked" and I still think there's more to do to it. That's not an excuse though. I will definitely go back and do a dirt pass before declaring it complete. Thanks for the comments. Here is a new incarnation with some additions. Still not where I want it though. It's funny, the OSX large thumbnail almost looks better than the image itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen1.jpg (98.8 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Goose, I know I'm supposed to say something contructively negative about images in posts but I can't see anything negative to say here.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 03:27 AM

Wow goose, impressed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 12:19 PM

Maureen & Cassidy,

Thanks for the comments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 PM

Ya know, Goose, you could hang a human X-ray in your centre screen there and have an extraterrestrial "doctor" having a look at it. A version of Twilight Zone, maybe?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques