RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Need Critique

Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 PM

Need Critique

Hey all,

Trying out a new technique I learned here at Retouchpro on a photo I took of my son, Adriel. Any suggestions?

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunky-Adrielweb.jpg (62.0 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 03:37 AM

Amber,

I thought his right pupil was a bit dark compared to the left, it looked a bit spooky, so I just did a quick select and played with the brightness/contrast in PSP. I thought the whole thing was a bit light, so I played with the levels just a touch. Nice work though.

Fembot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunky-Adrielweb1.jpg (49.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 06:02 AM

Amber,

Seems that you are trying for a high-key effect. But as you can see by Fembot's reply, you're not quite there yet.

So if it is high-key then you could go a little "higher", if not then you need to turn up the contrast (like Fembot).

I also think that the jeans are distracting from the main subject. He would look better without his pants.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 06:13 AM

Amber, I love the soft pale misty look, so sorry fembot, I disagree on that point, however I do agree regarding the eyes a little. Unless one eye is naturally very different (say in colour), then I'd probably try and either bring one eye up a bit or one down to even them a bit more pupil and iris wise.

If you could share your methodology, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-20-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I just needed a 2nd pair of eyes, or three or four!

Fembot, I never noticed that one eye was darker, it had to be from the lighting. Thanks for pointing it out!

Ro- Is there something you would like to share with the rest of the class? No pants huh?? Do you mean crop them out? Cuz I think I would get in trouble if he wasn't wearing pants... I started out with a sketch technique but wanted more detail so I think it ended up a high key effect by accident, I fiddled a bit with levels too, probably made it too grey for high key. The last one I did with the sketch effect was for my mom and she didn't like it because she thought the highlights were too blown, (I don't think she understood what I was trying to achieve) so I was trying to modify how it looked. Which she liked how this one turned out so go figure! Nothing like trying to please the grama!

Cass- Thanks for the kind words! Actually I used the technique that you posted here- http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-restoration/11702-howd-they-do.html and like I told Ro, Modified it a bit. But really I have used that technique quite a bit since I learned it from you. Here's basically what I did-

1. Open image, Duplicate background image
2. select dupicate layer image->Adjustments->Invert
3. Set blending mode of inverted image to linear dodge
4. Select Filter->Gaussian Blur and adjust the detail by using the blur slider
5. Seperatly Desaturate each layer by Image>adjustments>Desaturate
6. Now, on the blurred layer, lower the opacity to see more detail peek thru from the bottom layer.
7. Adjust levels to your taste, flatten image
8. For the dreamy vignette, use the rectangle marquee with a feather of 50 and make a box, now go to Select>Inverse and delete!

Add font if you want, I found that font at the Dafont.com. They have some really cool fonts!

For some reason I have been using Linear Dodge instead of Color dodge, but you could use either one, they both have the same effect.

Here's an attachment of the original photo if you guys want to play, and also attaching 2 sketch examples using Cass's techinique and another modified technique (I think in the 3rd I used Unsharp 500 technique on the eyes)

Thanks again for the input guys.

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101905_2-copy.jpg (82.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Ashlynns-1st-Birthday-sketc.jpg (80.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Me-sketch-copy.jpg (61.8 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM

Unreal Amber, makes me laugh a little. Nothing like having a look outside of the square Just love the third pic
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamypix
Do you mean crop them out?
Actually, I was (only! ) thinking of extending the vignette effect - fade them to white.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 10:29 AM

I think you are right Ro, about making the vignette come up alittle farther around the pants. I will try it out and see if that makes it better. Thanks Cass, I like how the 3rd portrait turned out too. My husband didn't even recognize me, he had to ask first if it was me? Sometimes I have to wonder about him! Thanks alot guys, you have been a big help...

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 10:33 AM

For a laugh Amber, my husband having donned a moustache for several months, removed it and after a week post removal he was surprised that I had not commented, so he asked me "notice anything different"? and I responded "have you just showered, think you look maybe a bit cleaner" which to his disgust he announced he had removed his moustache, and when I agreed with "oh yeah", he responded.... "a week ago". Creedence as to I love him for who he is, not how he looks, lol, PS is my wedding anniversary today

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-20-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Congrats cass! How long have you been married? I have been married for 5 years, feels more like 20 at times! I have 2 boys, and then the hubby. You think that you are getting married so that you have a partner, and that he's on your side when actually he's their leader. I remember when Adriel was a baby, Brian (my hubby) had a goatee and he got the bright idea to shave it off. When he turned around to show Adriel, Adriel screamed and cried and was afraid of him! Wouldn't go to him at all.... It was sad and funny all at the same time. He hasn't done that again.

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques