RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Preschool Photo Critique

Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM

Preschool Photo Critique

Hi all,

Last week, I finally took the plunge and had my very first "real" photo shoot! My son's preschool asked me to take their photos for Fall. I did it! And it was definatly a learning experiance! Just wanted to share with you guys! Let me know what you think. The photo is of Logan, my son.

Thanks, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

~Amber~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logan-Web.jpg (85.6 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Dreamypix; 11-08-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Hi Amber,

Nice photo, for a first timer it looks very accomplished.

I just tried cropping your picture, to make Logan more the focus, and to lose some of the extraneous background.

I'm not saying mine is better, just that it may be worth playing about and seeing if you get a crop which pleases you more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logan-Web copy.jpg (96.5 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 11:33 AM

Hi Amber:
I think it is a really cool picture. I do like Gary's crop as it pulls your darling son to the forefront.

Where did you take the photo's? Did you set up the props? The background is so colorful. Is it one of the pull down backgrounds photo studios use?

I say congratulations and keep up the good work!! Please remember I am by no means an expert. However if it was my picture to purchase I would have no problems with it!!

Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Patron

PreSchool

I really liked the picture. I thought though that it could be improved by slightly increasing the luminosity of his lower right leg. Still dark but not as dark as in the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leg.jpg (23.8 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I agree with cropping the photo, Gary. I left it alittle big so I can crop it when I print it. I always end up cropping too much then when I print it, it really crops it, especially the 8x10, so I just left it big. But you are right! I took the photos in the gym of the preschool, I actually painted the background myself on some painters canvas. I clamped it onto my background stand and away we went! I bought the props at a local pumpkin patch. I'm very pleased with the results, and I think the parents are as well. We will see how many orders I have to fill. Phil, I will have to check into the luminisity on his pants, I noticed that they were really dark when I printed a practice proof. Thanks for all your suggestions! I appreciate it.

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 PM

Well you are a most talented person. Painting the background!! WOW..I am very impressed as I think it is just beautiful. This time of year is my favorite anyway!!

Please keep us up to date on how the parents respond. I know if the pictures are all as good as this one posted most should be pleased and order..then walla...you are off!! Great Luck!!
Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 PM

I know I would order if my child had that photo taken by you. I think you did fantastic. I hope this is the start of many amazing business opportunities for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 11:46 PM

amber,

well done on taking the plunge!

i agree with gary about the crop. too much background, not enough boy. in my day, school pics were almost always head and shoulder shots, or maybe as much as upper body, but that was it. so, you always had a good face resolution. there's nothing wrong with a full body shot, if that's what's needed and wanted and most parents probably arent going to complain either way as long as they can make out their child well enough. still, there's a LOT of background in there. just remember if you do crop to leave enough room for the parts hidden by a frame.

again, well done!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 02:31 AM

To take out the worry of whether you've left enough picture to allow for the frame, add a border to your image before printing, then print to the frame size, that way you will get the image as you envisioned it, the frame will only be covering the border.

As others have already said, the backdrop is excellent, you're a talented person. Can't see anything stopping you making a success of your new business.

Good luck.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 AM

Thanks guys! I will keep you posted on what the parents think. On the parents proofs, I did crop the photos down. If they asked me to do it again, I would prob make the shots alittle tighter, but with little wiggles and my first time, I gave them plenty of camera space to move around. One little boy did actually sloooowly slide off the hay bail and landed in the middle of the pumpkins, which was very cute! I have had people ask me about taking their family/engagement/daycare shots just from looking at the proofs, so I am guessing that is a good thing? One parent was asking about Christmas photos. ACk! I don't have a backdrop for that yet! So if you have any ideas for Christmas backdrops, I would love to hear them. Thanks guys!

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques