Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Finishing Touch

Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks Gerald,

I can't think of very many instances where I don't use layers. It will benefit you greatly to learn to use them

As far as the color and smoothness of the skin, well I used just used one of the default skin tones in the manual color correction to in PSP to get the color and as far as the smoothness, well that was just a matter of duplicating the image on another layer deleting evrything but the skin area and running one of the noise reduction filters on it then merging the layer down and blended the areas. Quick fixes actually. There are a couple of tutorials that touch on someting similar to what I did here
and here . Again I can't stress enough the importance of layers!!

Wow I wish I could take credit for creating the great 3d effect of the ear by painstakingly painting the details , but alas I must confess and say I suck at artistic capabilities. The ear belongs to me! I copied it from a picture of mine and pasted it in, greyscaled and colored with the rest of the skin! hey it works although I think the proportion is off a bit here.

As far as the dress, I just used the clone tool to fill in the area roughly, didn't ry to recreate the dress or smooth with the clone tool. I tried to explain what I did in the previous post, but explanations aren't my strong suit either!

Glad this might have been of some help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Thumbs down touched up photo

have you considered throwing away the color and using a sepia tone? how about feathering your painting strokes? adjusting the size and style of the paint brush or the stamp tool? just some suggestions
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 AM
I took the original photo and did a little work to it. I find that when retouching and restoring old photos, it's best to stick with what you've got. Try to keep the original coloring and textures as best you can. It takes a while, but eventually you'll find what tools work best for different situations, and what you feel most comfortable working with.

Keep it up!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attempt#1.jpeg (88.5 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Heather -- welcome to RetouchPRO! Wonderfully natural restoration -- very nice model for Gerald to use as a goal.

Garazon -- very nice work, and your explanations/recommendations should be very helpful.

Gerald -- you've got a good start, and Garazon's "3 P's" will help you go the distance. Having a good finished product to compare to (Heather's and Garazon's, though different in style, both look very good to me) will probably help guide you. Working from a photo with missing pieces is not easy for anyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Finishing Touch

Heather, you had done a very good job with what you had. You didn't change a whole lot, moreover, you had kept the original color. The original is about sixty years and it was in black and white. As you know, the yellowish color is the degradation of the photo. I agreed with you in trying to keep the original texture and color. Maybe, I'm doing too much of a drastic change to my mother picture instead of keeping everything in its original state.
That's is the reason it is taking me so long to complete it. Lack of experience in photoshop is on of them. I only started to use photoshop about six months ago, it takes a lot of practice and talking to people like you and Garazon in Retouchpro to gain that experience. I know it will take a while to learn it, I'm not giving up at all. I'm a very persistent person in learning something. Thanks again for the info and I'll remember what you had said about retouching and restoring old photos.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Wink the photoshop learning curve

Hiya Gerald,
I just had a quick thought on learning photoshop that may give you some perspective on the learning process. I've been working with photoshop for a few years now, and I've had the good fortune to be taught by some really knowledgable people. And they always told me that no matter how good anybody thinks they are in photoshop, the more they play with it the better they get. The best thing you can do is just open it up and start doing things, especially if you don't know what's going to happen. (One key thing tho, if you're just playing in photoshop you should always be working from a duplicate file, never the original. You never know what may happen, and you don't want to lose previous work.)
Just play, have fun, and don't let it intimidate you. It doesnt matter how little or how much you think you know.
Cheers (and happy holidays!),
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques