Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Newbie here requesting to start with my website

Old 11-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Talking Newbie here requesting to start with my website

Hello all! Glad to join a fine group! If you don't mind I would like to start by having those who want to critique my website. Good or bad bring them on! I've been using Photoshop since 2.0 and Illustrator since 4.0. I'm contiplating on starting my own web design and graphics (did this some while going to school) but am seriously thinking of going at it head strong. Just take a looksee and give me feedback...thanks!

PS: I'm sooooo excited to join this group
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Welcome to retouch Digraphicx
Have been and looked at your site i liked the work that you have done especially the iris's and other fine art's although i was disapointed that when clicking the links i couldn't get a bigger picture they stayed quite small ! Also i (and this is me personaly ) didn't like the vertical links to your galleries found them a bit hard to navigate but this might be down to age But i did enjoy looking around hope you enjoy looking around this site also.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Welcome! You will love this place and learn a lot!

I like the simplicity of your content pages and the layout on the main pages is fine. I would have to second that I do not like the navigation system. It's very difficult to read and as a browser I don't want to have to 'think' to find out where I want to go on your site. I know what you have there 'looks' cooler and more design oriented, but the general surfer may get frustrated. I'd opt for a horizontal system if at all possible.

For your "Department of Econ" link, I'd change the target to _blank so that it opens in a new window instead of navigating away from your site.

I also agree that you should make the 'larger' image that is launched from your thumbnail bigger. I can't see any detail and a potential customer is going to want to see the detail in your work.

Just my 2cents tho.

Otherwise I love the color scheme and general layout. It's clean and nice.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Hello and welcome Digraphicx,

Just took a look at your site. It is quite nice overall. However, I have to agree with the previous two posts, larger images from the thumbnails and an easer nav. sys.

When reading your "About Me" page, I found it difficult to keep my eyes on target. The sharp contrast between the black background and white font produces an optical illusion of white lines in between the sentences. The font also seems get overwelmed and disappears in to the background. Perhaps a larger font set to bold would be better on the eyeballs. Especially old lady eyes

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 08:35 AM
I am not a critic, no experience with web design, however I just wanted to say I enjoyed looking at the improvements and special touches you are making to your home. Very nice.
I did just have a thought though. How about making your pictures larger so people can have a better look at all the improvements . Like a mouse rool over to bigger or a click to enlarge thumbnail. That would be all from me. Take care!! Neb last thing..WELCOME
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques