RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

x-mas present

Old 12-09-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
I've shortened the lower half of her face and softened the edges of her lipstick, IMO this makes a big difference, she no longer has an exaggerated mouth and does your excellent brush work justice I think.

Nancy....Perfect! Now for the stupid question when you say you shortened the lower half of her face...I am new to PS so please be patient with me....what do you mean....I see the difference and like it.

Dee
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Pawprints, I really like what you did! The pose is interesting. The low angle seems to elongate the face. Just a thought would be to rotate a bit to the left and perhaps Edit>Transform>Warp to give her face a slightly more rounded look.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawprints
Nancy....Perfect! Now for the stupid question when you say you shortened the lower half of her face...I am new to PS so please be patient with me....what do you mean....I see the difference and like it.

Dee
I'm sure theres a much better way to do this but its not something I usually need to do so I just selected the bottom half with a rectangular marquee and scaled it but only in the height not the width. If you zoom in theres a 1px distortion accross the iamge where I did it but thats easily corrected.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sure theres a much better way to do this but its not something I usually need to do so I just selected the bottom half with a rectangular marquee and scaled it but only in the height not the width. If you zoom in theres a 1px distortion accross the iamge where I did it but thats easily corrected.

OK...I did the same thing however is there a scale key???
So, do you mean "squishing (how's that for a technical term)...that would resize the entire image...I tell you....I am sitting her with three PS book out....this is one tough program to learn!

Dee
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:44 PM

OK, I used the rectangular marquee tool ( the one that makes a rectangular outline of 'marching ants' (dotted line) when you click and drag.
The went to edit->transform->scale
Then the marching ants should be solid and there should be 8 litle squares, one at each corner of the selection and one in the middle of each edge.
Then I clicked on the middle square of the bottom edge and dragged up until it looked right, then I clicked on the tick.

and thats about it. Hope none of that sounded patronising, I just wanted to make sure I was being clear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
OK, I used the rectangular marquee tool ( the one that makes a rectangular outline of 'marching ants' (dotted line) when you click and drag.
The went to edit->transform->scale
Then the marching ants should be solid and there should be 8 litle squares, one at each corner of the selection and one in the middle of each edge.
Then I clicked on the middle square of the bottom edge and dragged up until it looked right, then I clicked on the tick.

and thats about it. Hope none of that sounded patronising, I just wanted to make sure I was being clear.

OK....Thank You
No, not at all patronsising....very helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croppeddot.jpg (58.1 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM

You appear to have 'squished' the entire image, rather than just the lower half... I would select from just underneath the nose
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
You appear to have 'squished' the entire image, rather than just the lower half... I would select from just underneath the nose

I fixed it...sat here thinking it still did not look right....thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 PM

Glad to help
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 PM

It's a bit overdone. I'd suggest layering your image over the original, and letting some of that show through, to soften the rework. Also, instead of reshaping her face (which she may find insulting), I'd try a different crop/rotation of the original. Here, I overlaid yours on the original (had to resize, so getting them aligned may be a bit off, but you'll get the idea).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dotorig[1].jpg (54.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques