RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

x-mas present

Old 12-09-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
It's a bit overdone. I'd suggest layering your image over the original, and letting some of that show through, to soften the rework. Also, instead of reshaping her face (which she may find insulting), I'd try a different crop/rotation of the original. Here, I overlaid yours on the original (had to resize, so getting them aligned may be a bit off, but you'll get the idea).

OK...where in my books would I find how to do that
So...I open the image that I touched up....then open the original...
Again....I am so very new to PS...three books open and still I cannot keep up with the suggestions
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
It's a bit overdone. I'd suggest layering your image over the original, and letting some of that show through, to soften the rework. Also, instead of reshaping her face (which she may find insulting), I'd try a different crop/rotation of the original. Here, I overlaid yours on the original (had to resize, so getting them aligned may be a bit off, but you'll get the idea).
I disagree. I think yours looks like the original with an arty background. As photo based art I think pawprints has done an amazing job, aside from the slight exaggeration of the lower part of the face, which was easily fixed. Overlaying the original (or at least as strongly as in Vikki;s examples) makes it look far too much like a photograph.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 10:02 AM

NancyJ, good point about me losing the art aspect. My idea was, combine the best of both to produce an image that is attractive and not overdone. Artistic portions can be brought back while still retaining the likeness of the individual.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 AM

Question

So....I sat having another look see....with my three PS books open and played around and got no where quickly.
Going to painter to see if I can do anything better with this.
I hate to give up....however I have to have this printed and sent out so today is the last day. thanks for your opinions and suggestions....even if with some I am a bit in the dark

Dee
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 PM

Quite frankly PawPrints, I like the very first one you did the best. I even like leaving the white around her. I think you did a fine job. Maybe lighten her lips just a tad..but it brings out the truth of the original picture. You must understand however I am a newbie to photoshop and do not have near the experience most people have here, but my eye is pretty good and I like what you did very much!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
PawPrints, this is my first posted opinion in quite a while. I'll admit that the "art stuff" is out of my league, but I like the first ones you posted too. I even like the color used. The one that is not vignetted, IMHO, might be slightly better if you had more of the sweater showing (a little larger base), like in the vignetted one. I think it really jumps out at you! And I'm certain she'll be quite pleased with either one of them.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_L
PawPrints, this is my first posted opinion in quite a while. I'll admit that the "art stuff" is out of my league, but I like the first ones you posted too. I even like the color used. The one that is not vignetted, IMHO, might be slightly better if you had more of the sweater showing (a little larger base), like in the vignetted one. I think it really jumps out at you! And I'm certain she'll be quite pleased with either one of them.

Ed
Ed & Neb,
Thank You both for your response.
In the end went with a slightly toned down version at my husbands request.
Just trying to learn PS....I swear I am usually sitting at the PC with several books open....tough stuff.

Thanks Again
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques