Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Revenge ;)

Old 12-10-2005, 07:36 AM
OK, Nancy, now I'm going to risk being the hypocrite

I liked the crop, gave it much more movement.
The smoothed skin came out very well. I myself don't have any problem with un-textured skin. If you do it well, and if that is what the customer (or yourself) wants, them go for it. (this would appy to pageant work too - maybe way over the top, but that's what the customer wants)

Your technique looks perfectly sound, anything beyond that would be in the ART realm.

Another comment. The young lady is at the left side of the photo and looking to the left. Often people will try and get a more balanced image by moving her to the right a little. Giving her some "eye room" as they call it. However this also might be an ART call.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Agree with much of what byRo says.

Back to what I was saying about the image itself.....I would have to change some things about the image, and do all the retouching before apply any mood techniques. As it is, I can't get past the gray jewelery, which matches her eyes, and that big ear (which seems to be the focal point).
My changes here eliminate the ear (excuse my quick artistic redo's), minimize the jewelery, and close her eyes, which didn't really do much for the shot IMO.

Regarding your retouching, and this is just my personal taste, the image comes across as muddy. I think this is a combination of the blur, and coloring. Also, there doesn't seem to be a point of interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless2.jpg (81.3 KB, 269 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 09:43 AM
I agree in the first post the last picture looks just like a noise reduction (blur) was applied, Nothing else.
I woud not consider that "retouched"
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I'll get more into it later and this may be silly but there is a dot to the side of her face on the wall that keeps grabbing my attention. Still, I'll get more into the girl later today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 AM
I gave it a try too, full version is here:

I also like Vikkis work, closed eyes and hidden ear look very naturall. I like colors and skin, can you please provide some information about your technique ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch8c.jpg (99.9 KB, 168 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Well done!

always amazed by your work Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
this probably has nothing to do with this thread, except that i just wanted to play too took vikki's rendition and treated it with some contrast and lighting.

edit: added another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless-1-k-1.jpg (86.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg topless2-3-k-1.jpg (63.9 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Brutal Honesty

So, I may have a reputation for being brutally honest or even too critical with other peoples work so nows your chance for revenge

These are a couple of retouches of a picture from Stock Xchnge(first pic is original), I'm experimenting with some new techniques so any feedback is appreciated. Feel free to be as brutal with me as you would expect me to be with you
Do you really want brutal honesty? I dont mind the artistry, that is personal preference. But the flesh retouching is really soft and fake looking. Basically looks like a flesh mask with a gaussian blur. It seems muted, plastic and yet has heavy blotchies. Try pulling back on the opacity of the softening layer and copy/merge or merge down, and applying an unsharp mask with a tighter radius that the original blur or softening.. this holds sheen but reemphasizes fine lost detail and gets rid of the smudgy airbrushed look. Also do what you have to to even out the blotchies (dodge/burn).

BTW, pores are a good thing, you want them so your skin doesnt appear plastic, you just want the demphasized and shrunk down. I understand the concept (glossy sheen, smooth flesh) but there are some further techniques for acheiving this result while still looking real.

I have posted what it looks like to bring back some critical detail to the flesh using YOUR moves with opacities and USM. this is down and dirty and probably slightly on the sharp side, but gives you an idea. it took about 2 minutes.

Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless_nosejob.jpg (82.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg a quick move.jpg (91.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by mchawkes; 06-15-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Beautiful retouch Vikki. It really gives an otherwise dark image great warmth and a wonderfull skin tone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Just another thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topped-LQQKER.jpg (93.2 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques