RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Revenge ;)

Old 12-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Revenge ;)

So, I may have a reputation for being brutally honest or even too critical with other peoples work so nows your chance for revenge

These are a couple of retouches of a picture from Stock Xchnge(first pic is original), I'm experimenting with some new techniques so any feedback is appreciated. Feel free to be as brutal with me as you would expect me to be with you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless_orig.jpg (94.6 KB, 732 views)
File Type: jpg topless2.jpg (90.2 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg topless_nosejob.jpg (93.1 KB, 560 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
So, I may have a reputation for being brutally honest or even too critical with other peoples work so nows your chance for revenge

These are a couple of retouches of a picture from Stock Xchnge(first pic is original), I'm experimenting with some new techniques so any feedback is appreciated. Feel free to be as brutal with me as you would expect me to be with you
No Revenge...I like it
Maybe a tad lighter??

Dee
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 PM

Lighter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless_lighter.jpg (96.2 KB, 313 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
Lighter

Yes...I like to see the brightness in the eyes.

Dee
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Not sure what look you're after, but will critique anyway.
I don't think the final image is an enhancement of the original. Because it is very dark and pretty much devoid of color, the highlights stand out. Perhaps with a different image this could work, but here the highlights are not flattering or interesting (the whites of her eyes, gray jewelery, her ear, and highlight on her breast are drawing the attention.)
Truthfully, I don't think the photo is that great (no fault of yours), unless the goal was to spotlight the jewelery.
Finally, the entire image has a Gaussian Blur look to it, which is, dare I say it, common.
I have no "revenge", just an opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM

The revenge thing was just a joke Couldnt think of a title

The dark and lack of colour was intentional but it might not be to everyones tastes. Just wanted to do something a little different from a standard retouch.

Not even a 1px gaussian blur on this one - which is unusual for me, I generally use it at least on the masks heh.

Finding good photos is hard, without having to bug photographers and negotiate copyright etc. I'm saving up for a digital SLR, then I'll be sorted lol.
You might be right about the effect not suiting the picture very well. Its similar to what I used on the latest retouching challenge http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges.../cat/638/page/
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Perhaps the word "retouch" is throwing me here. When I think of that word, I think, improve or enhance. It sort of looks like you are going for artistic. I've seen a similar technique that is popular now (dark and desaturated with shimmer type highlights), but it is done with very high end images, with specific intent, whereas the images you've found are not really worthy.

Curious though, no "Gaussian" blur, but some other type of blur?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 08:08 PM

I think I'm probably just echoing Vikki's words but....If you are going to smooth the skin then it would be nice to compensate by making some other part of the image really sharp. In this case the jewelry, eyes and the hair. Otherwise it just looks pretty dead.

Likewise the strong point in favor of darkening an image is usually that it will call (even more) attention to the highlights. (...echos of Dragan etc...). Just darkening without without bringing back some light in selected places just looks....dark?

As the picture stands there are two areas of interest: a pretty face, and ample breast acreage. Fighting back my "macho" instincts, I would say that this is an example where less is more. A crop, removing the lower part of the breast could be an improvement (leave the rest to the imagination ).

On a picture of a pretty young lady I would also do some armpit plastic surgery to remove a fold of two.

Now, how did you do the skin smoothing?

(PS. Sorry if I offended in any way, OK?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 AM

Attached a new version

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
I think I'm probably just echoing Vikki's words but....If you are going to smooth the skin then it would be nice to compensate by making some other part of the image really sharp. In this case the jewelry, eyes and the hair. Otherwise it just looks pretty dead.
TBH I completely forgot to mask the hair back in, you know how it is when you've been looking at something too long, sometimes you just cant see these things.

Quote:
Likewise the strong point in favor of darkening an image is usually that it will call (even more) attention to the highlights. (...echos of Dragan etc...). Just darkening without without bringing back some light in selected places just looks....dark?
What can I say, I guess I'm just in a goth mood this month I've modified the highlights and shadows in her face, let me know what you think.

Quote:
As the picture stands there are two areas of interest: a pretty face, and ample breast acreage. Fighting back my "macho" instincts, I would say that this is an example where less is more. A crop, removing the lower part of the breast could be an improvement (leave the rest to the imagination ).
Cropped just below the jewellry, tbh regardless of macho instincts I dont think there is anything interesting about her breasts, not in this shot anyway.

Quote:
On a picture of a pretty young lady I would also do some armpit plastic surgery to remove a fold of two.
I did originally, but it looked awful, must have forgotten to redo it.

Quote:
Now, how did you do the skin smoothing?
By separating the colour from the texture. I used a heavy surface blur on a colour layer then took the green channel from the original to put the texture back in, then did a lot of cloning, dodging and burning on that layer to correct all the skin flaws.
Quote:

(PS. Sorry if I offended in any way, OK?)
:p If I was going to get offended then I wouldnt post here. This is a critiques forum. If all I wanted to hear was 'its great' then posting here would make me a hypocrite
The only person here I've got to ask opinions of is my boyfriend and he cant tell the original from the 'retouch'.

and yes Vikki this is more 'arty' than retouch but retouching does come into it heavily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toplesscrop.jpg (89.9 KB, 227 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2005, 02:52 AM

It looks good.....still not 100% sure what you are practicing, but the skin looks good for a drawing/painting type of look to it. As a higher end fashion shot, to mirror what others have said, you have lost all the details in the skin, there is no texture left.

If you are in fact trying to go for that painterly look, then you are def. on the right track. My only issue is with that necklace....when i open the image up in my browser, the face is the first thing i see....you have taken it from the realm of photograph and have succeeded in giving it painterly qualities, devoid of the typical PS filter look......but then i see the necklace and it is still far too photorealistic. But great job so far.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques