RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

A Ring Makeover

Old 12-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Patron

Dull Stone

Well Thanks, Craig. I cranked up the brightness and contrast to give it some zip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ring3.jpg (9.6 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2005, 01:14 PM

that looks better thanks, phil.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 12:32 PM

The Ring

As the holidays move forward, I wanted to respond to some of your interpretations retouching the ring. To Duv, the bottom light I think you are referring to is a light box the ring was photographed on to prevent any shadows. The lighting was set up from right and left and underneath to try to get light illuminating throughout the stone. I like the cast shadow you put in however, which gave some depth and seperation. I would trying "cleaning" the band a little more and smoothing out the bubbles of the stone. Putting the ring on a fabric was a needed touch and helped give the product some credibilty. Phil, I agree about the band you tweaked. You managed to clean it up and give it a bit of punch which gives an illusion of 3D. good job. The zigzag pattern was a cool thing to add. For Nancy, that ring is so tarnished that I can't figure out what metal it is. It might even be pewter! It also looks like an alloy of gold and silver, but not sure. I will be posting another result to this project, so stay tunes and thanks to all for your interest. BTW, I had an idea to have a jewelry or product section to the forum, especially because of the difficulties and challenges of enhancing reflectives. regards steveb
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 12:46 PM

actually this one, sans the tarnish, was not toooo bad. I had three hundred similar to the attachment to retouch! yuck
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piush_before_after.jpg (77.3 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Nanls; 12-26-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 01:10 PM

Ring Cont

To Nancy. I like what you did, cleaning up the ring. It looks like silver. I also like the angle that the ring was shot.Are you using Photoshop and a Wacom tablet? Are you retouching 100's of these? If so, when do you get a chance to breathe? How long do you spend on average with a retouch? Just picking another retouchers brain who also does rings, etc. regards steveb
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 01:49 PM

Nancy Ring

Hey again Nancy. I wanted to give your ring a go, so I did some tweaks. I desaturated the ring because it had a sepia color cast on my monitor. I used smart blur and some gradients with added noise to keep a bit of texture. Used the smudge tool to punch the lights and darks and to blur the reflections. The diamonds were a bit distorted, so I couldn't do anything with them. Spent about 20 minutes or so. Could tighten up the edges when I have time, but had fun trying it out. I wish I had a big bag of rings and costume jewelry to practice on. regards steveb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slvrrng:ret.jpg (59.7 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005
To Nancy. I like what you did, cleaning up the ring. It looks like silver. I also like the angle that the ring was shot.Are you using Photoshop and a Wacom tablet? Are you retouching 100's of these? If so, when do you get a chance to breathe? How long do you spend on average with a retouch? Just picking another retouchers brain who also does rings, etc. regards steveb
Hi Steve,
Thank you for the nice comments. And I like what you did with the ring's edges... looks much better.Was negotiating to do around 300 of these poorly shot rings, however, after doing the first 10, it was obvious that it would be less expensive for them to reshoot, then pay to have them retouched...all of the gems where that bad and we were going to have to do the old "cut and paste" thing. ... it was too time intensive, since it was for print, not for the web- a case of a webmaster trying to pass as a photographer... and then hoping the retoucher could create magic... I am not a photographer, however, from reading the post here at retouchpro, it is my understanding that shooting jewelery is hard enough, even when you know what you are doing and have the right equipment. Are you a photographer also? I am using Photoshop CS and a wacom tablet for retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 PM

Ring Makeover

Hello Nanis. Wow, 300 rings to retouch from the original photography is, IMHO, too much to ask of any experienced retoucher. Some people think that a substandard jewelry photo can appear as a miracle image after the retoucher has spent an hour trying to do the near impossible on one ring! I do all my own photography and retouching. I get lucky sometime and get a decent jewelry shot. I have state of the art high end digital gear and lighting which helps of course am I'm still learning new things to make it the best it can be. I knew of a color expert that would have a transparency rescanned on a million dollar drum scanner if the color or resolution was off at least 10%. From the look of the original ring photo you had to retouch, I would say that that was off about 60% and would have to be reshot beforing any retouching could save it for print or web. Regards steveb
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques