RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

need help removing spots, stains, etc

Old 01-02-2006, 07:11 AM

thanks Ed_L & Kraellin. I'll try the technique on future scans. bart_hickman I sent you a request for a bit more info on your particular technique. Thanks once again fellahs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM

Hi everybody,

dasailr03,

Welcome to RP!

I tend to agree with Bart about the haze and how it was accentuated ...

I worked on your picture without drastically changing the colours (I used the levels on each channel for a soft adjustment) and had no problem with the haze ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 08:49 AM

Hi Dasailr

Welcome to RetouchPro

I know your question was about the dust and scratches. But I just thought it needed brightening up a bit.

Use levels and click the white of her eye for the white point and the black of her eye for the black point. This will get you closer to mine.

I also used a colour layer on the skin and some desaturation.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_sample.jpg (98.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 09:48 AM

cameraken. I like what you did with the skin tone can you give me abit more details. specifically what you meant by. I also used a colour layer on the skin and some desaturation. i confess i'm still a bit of a newbie.

Hello Flora. Thanks for your contribution also. Can you post a pic so I can see what you were speaking of. specically what you meant by:
"I used the levels on each channel for a soft adjustment" how is levels on each channel done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 02:07 PM

Hi dasailr03,

...me again...

I'm attaching the B&A restoration
... and the immediate result after my 'soft' Levels adjustment on the individual channels ....

If after this you still have some lightly 'hazy' patches, try creating a blank Layer set to Overlay on top and, sampling a darker brown colour from the picture, paint over them with a soft/fuzzy brush (Opacity 10-15%)

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_sample1.jpg (98.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0058.jpg (97.2 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 02:38 PM

Hi Dasailr

Here are a few quick steps to get you started.

Open the picture
Create a new Adjustment Layer > Levels
Use the darkest point on her hair for the black point
Use the background just above her hair for the white point
Click OK

This will brighten the picture but will burn out the Cheeks and forehead.

Paint with black onto the Levels Layer mask to bring these highlights back.

Create a new Adjustment Layer > Hue/Sat
Reduce the Saturation to -35
Click OK

Add a hide all layer mask and paint back the face so that the de-saturation only affects the face.

Add a new blank layer and set the blending mode to colour.
Use this layer to paint over any discoloured areas on the skin

Select All > Copy Merged > Paste
Run Neat image on this layer to reduce the Noise.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noname.jpg (88.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM

Thanks everyone for their support. I"m shocked totally as to the potential of this picture. WOW & DOUBLE WOW is all I can say. Thanks everyone for their input once again.

Cameraken: thanks for the step by step.

Flora: can you post your step by step so I can experient with the difference between your techniques and others.

Thanks once again. I'm glad this site is here because it truly feels wonderful to know there are some dedicated people out there who cares about helping.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 05:41 PM

took one last stab at this. added some brightness and contrast with an adjustment layer.
smoothed out the background more with smudge.
adjust the color balance with a white point. (the color balance tool in psp only uses the white point and not black and gray. smart fix uses all 3)
took out some of the minor hair frizzies.
cleaned up my bad clone on her right arm.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl-in-blue-1-k-1a.jpg (91.1 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Fixing the haze

Here are the directions translated to Photoshop as best as I can figure out (I usually use Paintshop Pro X). The UI looks a bit weird because I have Photoshop 4.0.

Step 1: I effectively subtracted 32 from the blue channel. See the first diagram--note I've turned on the channel palette (red arrow) and selected the blue channel. Then I popped up a curve adjust tool and have set the curve such that it will subtract 32 from all blue pixels. Why did I pick 32? Because it seems like there is at least that much haze almost everywhere. Click okay on the curve tool.

In step 2, pop up the curve adjust tool again. There's still some haze left--it's especially visible in the dark area. So this time the curve is further attenuating the dark blues (that's the dip in the lower left part of the curve.). Click okay on the curve tool again.

That was pretty much all there was to it in my initial post. However, I added a 3rd step to further remove some haze from the green channel. So note in step 3 now I've selected the green channel, popped up the curve tool again, and now I'm attenuating dark greens. This seems to go an extra step towards removing the haze even further. That's it--pretty simple.

I included the layer palette that I used in Paintshop Pro for the PSPX users out there. You can see the three steps respectively in the three layers called "subtract", "blue curve", and "green curve". (I have a script that splits the image into an interactive RGB group so I can fiddle with the color channels and see the result in real time.) You could do it this way in Photoshop as well, but I didn't have an action.

The final attachment is the resultant fixed photo.

As I mentioned, there is some irregularity due to folds (some bands near the purple hair ribbon). Scanning at 0 and 180 degrees will get rid of that.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step1_subtract32_from_blue.jpg (84.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg step2_atten_dark_blue.jpg (84.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg step3_atten_dark_green.jpg (85.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sample2_layer_palette.jpg (62.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg sample2.JPG (70.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 05:09 AM

Hi,

Great jobs here!!! I always find fascinating when
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasailr03
the potential of this picture
or of any picture can be shown in so many different ways!!!

Here is my 'step-by-step'
  • First, when restoring pictures, particularly portraits where there is a lot of healing/cloning/reconstructing to do (work I do on very strong magnifications), I always want to check how my corrections are going to look like on the normal size (100%) image ... for this reason, I usually create a 'twin' working windows by going to the Window>Arrange>New Window For... Menu on PS' top bar ... (this, in PS CS2 if you use a different version this option can be called differently) Attachment 1.

• Whenever possible, I do all my corrections using the 'Blank Layer Technique' described in this Tutorial.. and that's what I did here for all the healing, darkening, lightening etc. to remove spots, scratches and reconstruct missing parts.

• After fixing the left arm (my left) I simply selected it, copied it on a new Layer (Ctrl+J), flipped it horizontally, moved it over the missing right (my right) arm and used the Transform Tool to adapt it there as naturally as possible.

• When all the scratches etc. had gone, I created a Level Adjustment Layer, which I used on the individual channels, to balance the colours in a non drastic way. Attachment 2, Attachment 3, Attachment 4.

• After this I created more blank layers set to Color, Soft Light, Overlay, Lighten and Darken to better blend in the corrections made so far and to balance the light 'haze' still present in some parts of the picture.

• I used Levels and USM for adjusting the contrast, and USM for a soft sharpening.

Hope this helps .... but you know where to find me should you have questions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0064.jpg (97.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0061.jpg (84.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0062.jpg (85.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0063.jpg (85.2 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques