RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

need help removing spots, stains, etc

Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 AM

Flora thanks for the info. As i stated before I like what you've done. Can you be a bit more descriptive in your step by step. I'm following the tutorial and it's coming along. Some of things i'm interested in are:

1. How did you smooth out the the skin.
2. Because the skin is so smooth out the white blotches. darks & highlights are gone. how did you do this?
3. The blue on her shirt is nice and rich. what technique?
4. The neck area is that a result of cloning or painting and or both? Very nice.

If possible can u send me the psd so I can study it. I'm exremely grateful for your help in this matter. Because the model is my wife I only want to do the best job and your version ROCKS!!

PS. r u in italy? what part. I lived in Naples for 3 yrs.

bart_hickman: Thanks for the tips. i'm going to practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 01:52 AM

Hi dasailr03,

thank you so much for your kindness!

I'm so glad you liked the result I got!

Quote:
1. How did you smooth out the the skin.
For this picture, I only used the Dust&Scratches Filter as described in the Tutorial under SKIN SMOOTHING .... I actually wrote that tutorial so you can find most of 'my' techniques there ...

Quote:
2. Because the skin is so smooth out the white blotches. darks & highlights are gone. how did you do this?
This was achieved creating a new blank Layer set to Soft Light and, using a very soft brush (Opacity 10-20%), I painted black over lighter areas/spots and white over darker ones as to minimize the 'spotty' look and have more balance.

Quote:
3. The blue on her shirt is nice and rich. what technique?
... After removing all the scratches and damages, I was left with several areas where, because of the corrections, the colour had shifted ... like shirt and neck .... To correct that, I used another blank Layer set to Color and, continuosly sampling colour from surrounding areas, with a soft brush (Opacity 30-40%) I carefully painted the colour back .... For the shirt, I sampled only once from a 'rich blue' area, and painted all over the shirt with that ....

Quote:
4. The neck area is that a result of cloning or painting and or both? Very nice.
.. Thanks!! The neck was the result of Patch Tool (on the biggest damage), Heal brush to 'smoothen' the correction, Color (as described above) and Soft Light (as described above) ....

To a certain extent, it's a pity this should be a 'surprise' because just to see the effort you are willing to put into this would make your beautiful wife very happy!!! .... But I'm sure she'll be delighted with the result!!!!

As for the .PSD .... I saved most of it .... meaning... because of space I had merged all the 'scratches/damages' corrections in one layer so the steps to be followed there (many of them... ) start from my first Levels adjustment onwards ... The file is 12.5 MB, too big for my email box to handle (10 MB limit) ... but I know my Provider allows me to put it up so you can download it from there ... I'll send you an email as soon as it's up!

Quote:
r u in italy? what part. I lived in Naples for 3 yrs.
.... Yes, I'm in Italy ... in Milan .... quite a long way from Naples .... did you like it there?? ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM

My progress so far

Ok here is what i've done so far. The pic on the left is my version and the right side version is the awesome FLORA'S (thanks for the great tips) version. As you can see mines is still a bit flat and doesn't have the life. So if anyone can give me a few pointer on how to bring out the color like the right side version i'm all ears...oh yeah i'm still having problems with them white spots..

ps. i cannot say thanks enough for everyone's SUPPORT & TIPS!!! THANK YOU!! keep em coming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_sample2a.jpg (74.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by dasailr03; 01-05-2006 at 06:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The pic on the left is my version and the lefT is FLORA'S
ok, so whose is on the right?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 AM

Hi,

dasailr03,

I just wanted to let you know that I've sent my .PSD file to the address you gave me ... (by the way I just stopped at your restoration site ... nice work!!) ...
You'll be notified and given a link to where download it ... I do hope it works because, not being at home at the moment ... (I'm not even in Italy right now...) I had to access to the services my Italian provider offers through a connection from another provider and, boy, they made me sweat for it!!!

the name of the file is: F_sample.psd and its size is 12.5 MB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2006, 06:12 AM

Thanks You...

Yes Flora.. i got the file with no problems.. thanks!!!

Flora: I notice that your original base layers DOES NOT HAVE THE sCAN DOTS. how was u able to fix this in the base layer????.

Last edited by dasailr03; 01-05-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 AM

Hi dasailr03,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasailr03
Yes Flora.. i got the file with no problems.. thanks!!!
Thanks for letting me know ... and ... boy ... am I glad about that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasailr03
Flora: I notice that your original base layers DOES NOT HAVE THE sCAN DOTS. how was u able to fix this in the base layer????.
... I downloaded your large size photo at the address you posted .. (http://www.imag.us/x/dmccorey/sample.jpg) ... and, at that resolution, that's the way it came .... If the picture you are working on has scan dot, if possible, could you try to post the uncompressed original scan only in the original size on that site so I can download it and see....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 AM

original file

Here is the file....

http://www.imag.us/x/dmccorey/Scan10049.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi dasailr03,

... I downloaded your large size photo at the address you posted .. (http://www.imag.us/x/dmccorey/sample.jpg) ... and, at that resolution, that's the way it came .... If the picture you are working on has scan dot, if possible, could you try to post the uncompressed original scan only in the original size on that site so I can download it and see....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 AM

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/5...efix3nv.th.jpg

im out the door, but i took a stab, tell me whatcha think, ill post what i did when i get bak
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 PM

Hi,

dasailr03,

ahhh ..the blasted photopaper texture!!!! .... May I ask how old is the photo? ...

Well, nothing good old *FFT couldn't handle ....

*FFT = Fast Fourier Transform ... the Photoshop Plug-in can be downloade free here .. I have all his version but what I used here is the RGB Version.

You can find byRo's excellent step-by-step FFT Tutorial here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan10049_FFT.jpg (96.2 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques