RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Repair/Colorize

Old 01-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Repair/Colorize

Greetings,

I'm new to RetouchPRO and would like a critique of the attached. The source was a scan (rather small) of my grandfather taken around 1915. I'm basically pleased with my result other than the blownout highlights on his face. BTW, I use Ulead PhotoImpact 8 as my primary editor. TIA for your feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeanK.jpg (44.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DeanK.jpg (24.4 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonK
Greetings,

I'm new to RetouchPRO and would like a critique of the attached. The source was a scan (rather small) of my grandfather taken around 1915. I'm basically pleased with my result other than the blownout highlights on his face. BTW, I use Ulead PhotoImpact 8 as my primary editor. TIA for your feedback.
Hey Lonnie!

It's a grand job of it, as usual for you! Can you make a selection of the blown out bits at the forehead and adjust the tones or fill with a sample of the cheek colour setting the opacity in accordance?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM

Hi and welcome.
It looks as though you've done some detailed coloring here. Paying attention to every detail is really important when coloring. So, you're off to a good start. However, my honest critique is that the image is overworked.
Most notably the softening. It no longer looks like an actual photograph, and has a distinct look of being photoshopped with some Neat Image usage as well. To correct this, I would move the colored image on a layer over the original and set the layer mode to color. If you'd still like a bit of grain removed, copy the layer again, and set the layer mode to luminosity. Lower the layer opacity so that just a bit of the colored image shows through.

About the color....there looks as if there is quite a bit of gray coming through. Don't be afraid to get heavy handed with the color, you can always desaturate if necessary (just don't use anything garish and don't oversaturate). His face and hair seem to be the same color. Aside from those, it looks as if there is blue for the jacket and eyes, and plum for the tie. Add some color depth by bringing in some subtle colors that work with the image. Unless clothing is dyed it RIT dye, it's not one single color. Finally, it doesn't appear as if you've colored his shirt. You'll have to add color to that, as nothing should be left gray.

I hope you consider my comments to be a helpful critique. I've colored many images, but I'm speaking for my own tastes. You can view my work by following the link below.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2006, 08:53 PM

Thanks, Maureen. Seems wherever I go, you are there! I did try your suggestion, but the added color comes out too flat. I'm hoping to learn how to do this without looking like that.

Your comments ARE very helpful, Vikki. I've only done a handful of colorizations, so every little bit helps. Perhaps I did overwork this a bit, but I was going for a bit of artistic flare. The softness (smart blur) was my last step and actually gave me the look I wanted.

As far as "gray coming through", yes. I really don't have a handle on that yet. I've tried many techniques, but really don't feel "there" yet. For this one, I primarily did duotones of the whole image, then cloned back the color where intended -- probably not the most effecient way to do things.

You make a point about the shirt. It's a white shirt, so yes, I left it. What should one do? Any guidance (or an example) would be appreciated.

BTW, your examples are great. Perhaps, one day, I'll be able to do as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 AM

Vikki is definately the one to help with color. I do agree with it looking a little too satin. Also, I guess it depends on personal taste and what the photo is but I would try to keep the right side of the photo from being so blacked out which is eliminating his one ear and the shape of his head. This may help in the coloring as well to make it easier to dicipher between his hair color and skin tone.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques