Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Advertise Here

Oil Painting With Depth - Critiques Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Oil Painting With Depth - Critiques Please

This is my fourth painting with Deep Paint 2.0. I included the original photo so you can compare. I love this program. I can't wait to try some portraits.

See a larger version HERE to see the lighting effects better.
You are probably asking yourself, "Now how did he save this as a jpg with the lighting effects intact?" Stay tuned to the Photo Art Forum for some clues in the coming months.

I'm heading south Monday for a month of sunshine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iris 08.JPG (53.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Iris Ptg08w.jpg (99.4 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Photomaster; 01-20-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 PM

Hi Photomaster,
This is yet another lovely picture of your Iris, i love the paint effect you have given it, i also love Deep Paint and will be happy one day if i can produce the same as you...well almost...Could you tell me what brushes you used????

Enjoy your month of Sunshine, we are also heading off south for 2 months to escape our cruel winter...

Kind regards Patricia kay
Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakay
Hi Photomaster,
This is yet another lovely picture of your Iris, i love the paint effect you have given it, ...Could you tell me what brushes you used????

Kind regards Patricia kay
Thanks Patricia.

It took me awhile to figure out what brushes I used. I was working around 2:00 a.m. (Retired, you know.)
Here goes. The image was taked with my 5 MP camera. I used it full size.

Layers as shown, top to bottom:

Outline Layer

Oil paint Layer:
Cloners Ex Presets - Brush - Directional Oil Cloner, abstract colors, used precise strokes, following contours, over entire flower. Used random strokes on BG.

Clone Layer:
Wet Materials Presets - Brush - Gouache Flat + (Clone from layer below checked) Stroked slowly over entire image. (so computer can keep up.) Changed stroke dir on BG to produce light and dark variations.

Fill Layer: (Still don't understand this)
Tol 141, Fill All, Ref.C, Sample Merged, Feathered. Everything looked OK so I left this layer in. What it does, I haven't a clue.

Source Layer: Lowered opacity.

That's it. Painting took about 3 hrs. but, there was a lot of "learn as you go." Saved as dp2 file and 5.8 MB tif for use in Photoshop. (With lighting effects intact. .Heh, heh!)

Last edited by Photomaster; 01-21-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:25 PM

Photomaster.....Thankyou for your quick reply,i think it might take me a tad longer than 3 hours...but i will give it a try...be worth the time to get the lovely effect you did...its all a learning curve isnt it???

Kind regards patricia kay
Old 01-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Photomaster, the flower itself is gorgeous. I'm not crazy about the background as it seems busy and doesn't really seem to go. Perhaps if you left it a bit more organic and brought some of the iris colors into it?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 AM

Background Needs Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
Photomaster, the flower itself is gorgeous. I'm not crazy about the background as it seems busy and doesn't really seem to go. Perhaps if you left it a bit more organic and brought some of the iris colors into it?
Thanks Raniday,

You are correct, the background doesn't really go. I used the Directional Oil Cloner brush on both the flower and the background. It was set to Abstract Colors, hence, the background colors were picked up from the Fill layer that I added just as an experiment.

But hey, this is digital right? I can go back, remove the Fill layer, and paint over the background in Deep Paint or, extract the flower, in PS, and add a different background. I think I'll try that approach. I just love computers and software...none of the restrictions of working with all of the "old" tools.

Thought you might enjoy seeing a 100% view of the flower, in Photoshop, so you can really see the brush strokes, lighting and texture. Humm, I wonder what this would look like, printed on a 30" or 40" canvas, hanging on the wall?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iris-PS-SS1.jpg (93.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-21-2006, 06:36 AM

It would be glorious printed out large, and you know, having seen it up close and personal, I'm thinking it has a bit of the Old Masters' feel to it and might look awesome with an antique/smoky/grungy sorta background and maybe even a cracked texture Just a thought. My thoughts usually get me into trouble!