RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Repair/Colorize 2

Old 01-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Repair/Colorize 2

Hi again,

I'm really trying hard to get a handle on colorization. I've tried to apply what I could gleen from your advice on my previous request (which I appreciate very much) and have looked at several tuts. I feel I have made some progress, but still would like any additional advice you'd care to offer. Here are my latest efforts working on two scans I had of photos of my great-grandparents.

My workflow now consists of making all selections first -- one for each particular color intended. I place a toned base layer of the whole image beneath these. Then I apply either a colorized brush or color blend mode to each selection. Seems to work quite well.

Again, I use Ulead PhotoImpact 8 as my primary editor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EKraemerSr.jpg (66.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg EKraemerSr.jpg (50.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg MaryAffKraemer.jpg (47.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg MaryAffKraemer.jpg (28.4 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 09:10 PM

Color and Retouching

I love what you've done with the photo of your Grandmother. Beautiful!

Regarding the photo of Granddad; I immediately noticed the eyes were too bright. I took the liberty of making a few minor adjustments: toned down the eyes, got rid of the white line by the cuff of his coat, lightened the fingernails and reduced the strength of the highlights on the glasses. Then, I added just a bit of noise.

There are also some depth of field issues that that should be fixed.

Keep on retouch'in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grndfather.jpg (96.7 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Lonnie, on my monitor both of your pictures look fairly fluoro in the skin tones. I think a far more natural look is obtained by desaturating a little, and your grandmother's pic a fair bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EKraemerSr copy.jpg (79.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg MaryAffKraemer copy.jpg (62.5 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 03:40 PM

Beautiful work, this, Lonnie! You have far more patience that I!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 AM

lonk,

i think you did a great job here! frankly, i'm a bit envious but, because you are obviously so good, i'm going to be obviously more critical.

i'm only critiquing the woman here.

i agree with the saturation remarks of the others. too much blue in the dress. the eyes need to come out more. her left cheek is lacking texture and could stand a bit more color in the cheeks. part of the problem here is the obvious jpg artifacting, but, in spite of that, i could see a line or two that seemed to need a bit of softening or slight blending. when working on smaller images the 'jaggies' get to be more of a problem. it's a good idea to watch for these and smooth or soften them out a bit. there werent many and the artifacting might be causing some of this also.

the main issue is the blue dress. it's just too blue. i've attached an image where i ran the Fast Fix plugin to lower the saturation a bit and took the blue hue down just a fraction. see what you think.

we also have to bear in mind monitor differences here. it could well be that on your machine the blue looks just fine. so take all that with a grain of salt.

i do think you've done a great job here and like i said, i'm envious, so take my whole critique with a grain of salt

craig

i look at mine now that it's posted and i think i took it down a touch too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaryAffKraemer-1-k-1.jpg (96.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

Photomaster: True, I think I need to pay a bit more attention to details. The addition of a slight bit of noise is a great suggestion to balance the whole.

Maureen: Actually, patience is not one of my strong points. I tend to work quickly and some things don't get the attention they deserve.

Cassidy and Kraelin: Perhaps I did oversaturate a bit. I was going for a "gay ninety's", theatrical type rendition. Ultimately, it is a very subjective aspect though.

Agreed, Kraelin, about the overly blue dress. Unfortunately, PhotoImpact doesn't allow much control over individual color channels -- as compared to PhotoShop as I've been seeing here at RP. I'd get PS, but my budget just won't allow. Can you tell me more about the Fast Fix plugin you mentioned?

The scans were done several years ago and were not scanned at a very high resolution. I didn't know much better then. Sadly, I don't have the originals anymore, else I'd have rescanned for more detail. However, I suspect that in this arena, one must often do with what one has.

I will say that I'm enjoying the process and learn something new with each attempt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 01:51 PM

lonnie,

the Fast Fix plugin is one of those i use as sort of a pre-process tool to get an image 'sort of better'. like its name suggests, it's fast it's also free, so that shld fit right in with most folk's budgets. i dont know the link right off hand, but a google will turn it up on the first page, i think.

bear in mind here that i understand the rather compulsive and super critical eye and attitude of artists. i'm horribly critical of my own work. and the only reason i got as somewhat super-critical on yours was that your work shows you are already something of a pro, so i cut no corners. the work is marvelous. and if i could do that as well i'd probably go inquire at the national archives or smithsonian for a job.

i'm not familiar with photo impact. must be one of the older breed of editors. i'd highly recommend getting paint shop pro. it's a tenth of the cost of photoshop and does a very nice job... good bang for the buck! and as i recall, even the older shareware (free) version 4.12 had layers. that version can still be found on the net. i'm currently using psp 10 from corel and the cost was $60 as opposed to ps at $600. so, it really is a tenth.

the Gimp is also open source (free) and quite a good program. talk to lkroll here on the forums about it. he uses pretty much exclusively and does some very nice work. you can also try Gimpshop, which is the Gimp done with a photoshop type interface and layout. i've tried both of these programs and if i didnt have psp i'd probably be using one or the other.

i dont know if photo impact can or does use photoshop type plugins, but that would be another advantage to going with psp, gimp or gimpshop if it doesnt. the fast fix plugin is just that, a plugin. so, if photo impact doesnt use ps compatible plugins, then fast fix isnt going to work for you currently. i dont think it has a stand alone version.

if you do get fast fix and it will work, you'll see the ease of use of this thing immediately. it's very simple, slider based, has a preview window and will also work on selections. a very handy plugin.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 03:44 PM

Craig: Yes, I can use PS plugins in PI8. I have several other excellent Cybia plugins. I added Fast Fix to that collection. Definitely handy!
Quote:
bear in mind here that i understand the rather compulsive and super critical eye and attitude of artists. i'm horribly critical of my own work. and the only reason i got as somewhat super-critical on yours was that your work shows you are already something of a pro, so i cut no corners. the work is marvelous. and if i could do that as well i'd probably go inquire at the national archives or smithsonian for a job.
I respect the super critical eyes I can access here. This is exactly the kind of feedback I desire. You're very kind considering me a pro, but I'm far from it. To date, I think I've done less than 10 colorization projects. At best, I'm a hack. But like most insecure "artists", I'll gladly accept your kudos

I know PSP and GIMP are very capable editors. PI is not "one of the older breed of editors". It's going strong and has a dedicated following. Though I don't have the latest version, I'm very comfortable with it. It's priced comparably to PSP. It does use "layers", but not in the PS sense -- rather allowing separation of "objects". The difference is minimal and all typical blend modes are available. The nomenclature is slightly different and that is a continuing source of frustration when trying to translate typical PS instructions. My resistance to using an alternative app is not only $$$, but simply that I'm interested in learning how to do the work, rather than how to use the editor -- if you get my drift

The other graphics pgm I use is Xara Xtreme. I actually won it in a competition at a PSP site. It's the "vector" side of my toolbox. Highly recommended also for buck bang

One of the reasons I gravitated to RP was because I launched an online digital photo editing, enhancing, retouching, etc. website recently and felt I should learn as much as I could from a related community. The service hasn't generated much interest yet, but I'm hopeful. I also maintain a blog, "The Image Digital ", where I basically just show off. Web Development is my "other" interest and keeping up with both is challenging and fun. I just wish I had some marketing skills
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 08:29 PM

lonnie,

ok, i had the wrong impression of what PI is it would seem. so, yes, it wouldnt make much sense to switch to psp in the middle of the stream....to PS maybe, but probably not psp.

and pro or not, i like what you did. and you're always free to post another rendition. my eyes may be old, but they still work and i'm almost always willing to look

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques