RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First retouch - please crit

Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 AM

I'll agree with all points of view, specially with Nancy about Day Make-Up, and Night Make-Up. Retouching a girl most have some of Make-Up knowledge, not a fully expert knowledge, but some you need to have.

Also, 2 very critical points have been lost on your retouching, the shadow in the nose and the end of the cheek, and the union of the ear. If you lose those shadows, then your model skin looks like ruber.

I'll put those shadows back just to encrease reallity
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM

my version; just wanted to try a different look for her.

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB
Sorry to say, but all of you have failed in removing the green cast from her hair.
Sorry to say but you should check your numbers or check your monitor. I read magenta over Cyan and yellow over magenta all through the version I posted. That's a solid blonde, which is closer to neutral than you think. You don't want yellow hair, unless it's a Dick Tracey cartoon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 PM

Hi edgework,

it's not about the numbers I talked about. My main goal on image retouching is to make things "pop". Retouching by numbers makes a good sense to me when doing initial color correction as when I do that, I often get boo boo looking at one image for some minutes and trying to adjust minor differences. Skin color's an excellent example for this stuff where numbers are required.

I attached MChamberlains image (hoping he doesn't mind) to show what I meant. The difference becomes clearer when looking at it in photoshop switching back and forth but I hope you can see it though. The cyan makes the image colder, more artificial just as what you get when photographing in poor light. Turning the cyan down on the yellows brings up a warm touch which is just what the look in her eyes says.

Do you think about Dick Tracey when looking at the left one

PS: I personally think a mix of both settings is best to reflect real neutral as my settings add the warm touch which I'm not sure it's wanted. But I liked it best on MChamberlains picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch-copy.jpg (92.2 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Hi edgework,

Do you think about Dick Tracey when looking at the left one
Not really. But by taking out cyan you've made her hair red, along with the shadow on her cheek. The image on the right is drab, but she's undeniably a blonde. The one on the left needs to go back to her hair salon and tell them to finish the job.

Blonde is one of those godawful "not really anything" colors like brown and gold. A slight excess in one channel or deficit in another and you spill over into red, green, blue or yellow, all of which jump out at you as WRONG. The hair on the right actually does have spots where cyan reads above magenta, and so, yes, there would be a green cast there. But blondes need cyan. Given the drabness of the overall tone, I suspect that the solution is more of a contrast move, targeting different ranges in each channel. But a blanket extraction of cyan just trades one problem for another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
it's not about the numbers I talked about. My main goal on image retouching is to make things "pop".
Look at it with your eyes, not your color picker

Quote:
I personally think a mix of both settings is best to reflect real neutral as my settings add the warm touch which I'm not sure it's wanted.
Try cyan -5 on the yellows and your numbers should fit.

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Look at it with your eyes, not your color picker
Come on; someone as knowledgeable as you must certainly know that the first rule of color work is "Eyes lie." If you look at red hair or green hair long enough, you will see blonde.

Monitors lie too. Rejecting numbers is like Samuel Goldwyn's famous line "Don't confuse me with facts!"

For the record, all I need is my eyes to see that the image you posted is too red. The numbers just tell me how much it's off.

I love Selective Color under the right circumstances, but in this case, it's a battering ram, pulling cyan from everywhere. Curves give a much better result. Try these and see if you don't come up with believable skin tones, and blonde hair.

I ended up using Selective Color, but it was to add 10 magenta to the blacks. Pulled out the hints of green without bathing the rest of the image in plutonium.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Curves.gif (49.2 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques