RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Extract Critique!

Old 02-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Extract Critique!

I took this image of a model shot on a white bkgd, applied the extract filter to her hair in 3 different steps, took the best areas of her hair in each of the 3 steps and masked them together to get the final extraction.

Then placed her onto a blue bkgd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extract.jpg (79.9 KB, 367 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 12:38 AM

looks good to me-- it is always a challenge to find out which extraction technique will work for a specific photo. Nice job.

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Oh, if only I could do this as well!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 06:24 PM

I like a lot the hair extract, but I don't like the t-shirt extract, it needs a little more of blur, or maybe transparency on the blue background
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 PM

studioj.....it's not a shirt, it's actually a shot of a model in a bikini wearing prop angel wings! But i definitely see what you're saying....the sharp edges need to be softened or else it's a dead give away to a silo!

thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 09:57 PM

Looks perfect! After I realized you could load an alpha channel into the extract tool, I thought it was a much better tool.

What were the three steps you used? Different settings in the tool? Differently drawn outline?

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Bart, the model was shot on a white bkgd and since she has black hair, i had nice contrast to work with...so it made extract filter a lot easier to work with.

the attached file is the first go at it...you'll see some areas that needed to be fine tuned, so what i did was set the brush size smaller is those areas i was concentraiting on and literally apply the filter to the "original shot" by duping the original layer 2 more times until i had all areas looking nice. then i just masked them together. I use extract a lot for fly away hair...i seem to get great results with it. The key to the way i go at it is....i dupe the Original layer and apply the filter. I'll do this a few times until i see all areas of the hair looking natural then i just piece together the best areas from each attemt (layer). But i hardly ever use it to silo a body, i trust the path or channel mask a lot better. It always comes out smooother.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair.jpg (64.9 KB, 188 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 07:45 AM

the best way to do that I guess is to use Russell's method http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/AdvancedMasking.mov This short movie was quite a revolution in my job for me... It really helps in most of the things I do..

taken from http://russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html (bottom of the list)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Mike, Thanks for the info.

Masterful, Brown's tutorials are great. However, you should check out the extract filter. At first, you might think it's too sloppy, but with practice it will do a better job in many cases than is achievable with the pure masking method. This is especially true when the replacement background color is a LOT different from the original as it is in Mike's example.

Same goes for the background eraser. There's more to those tools than is obvious at first glance.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 11:39 PM

Hi,

There is a new software program that just came out that cuts hair and other extremely fine detail images really well. It even finds the edges in your image first for you automatically so you do not have to trace around the edges with the magnetic tool, or magic wand or pen tool any longer.

For me it works out even better than building up channel masks - because I still seem to loose hair strands using that method too.

The program is a Plug-in for Photoshop and you access it just like a filter - except that it is a cutout program. Much better than Mask Pro3 or Extract for me.

Its called Fluid Mask - by a UK company called VertusTech.

There is a demo program that is free to try out -

http://www.vertustech.com

Below is a good example from the site that shows good hair done well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bfa3web.jpg (86.9 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by master1234; 04-04-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques