RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

website critique

Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 PM

website critique

i could really use some of your criticism/opinions on a photo retouch website that i am developing entirely by myself -- i am a complete novice, and am picking up ideas here and there. i am also a complete novice in the retouching area, but am learning so much from everyone here.

please don't be too harsh , but do let me know what i can do to improve the site.

also, if anyone knows, in my "photo gallery," the images do not appear until you actually do the rollover (that is why i have the direction to roll the mouse over the "square" - is there an easy fix for this?

please be patient as the site may not load immediately, but i am working on this issue also.

just keep in mind that i am new to both retouching and web building.

thanks,

MOM

Last edited by makeovermagic; 03-27-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 AM

Well, I think this site looks cheap, don't get me wrong, but if you want to make impression to your clients you have to change something about it. First of all Shrift, instead of whatever you use there, change it to Verdana or Tahoma, then size it to 12 or 14 (14+ will be too much). Second, I don't like index page and whole header image, photo with girl is low in pixels and that’s bad, text effect you’ve used, looks not too good as well.

So, try to do like this:
1. change shrift
2. get rid of header image and change it to something more attractive.

p.s you can check http://good-tutorials.com/tutorials/...op/web-layouts there are lots of tutorial how to make web layouts, it could be good start to you .
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 02:56 PM

jeronimas, thanks for the comments. that's what i'm looking for. i'm going to work very hard on the site. i agree with your comments, and will check out the tutorial.

thanks again!

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2006, 10:26 PM

re-vamp

i just did a major re-vamp to my site -- please check it out and let me know what you think.

thanks,

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeovermagic
i just did a major re-vamp to my site -- please check it out and let me know what you think.

thanks,

MOM
I would suggest having the AFTER image appear as default and the BEFORE show up on the rollover, for all your before_after samples. You know what they say—you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Also, it enhances the effect to have the images the same size. That way, the only things that the eye focuses on as shifting are the modifications that you made. When the entire image shifts size, your work doesn't stand out as much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 12:47 PM

thanks edgework for the comments. i'll make the change of default being "after" -- and will attempt to make picutres the same size -- check back later to see how it looks -- how do you think the rest of the site measures up?

thanks again!

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 PM

I think it would look much better without buttons; you could make simple line navigation instead. Something like this.

About | Photo Gallery | Pricing Info |

Then, you need to change colors, black and white is OK, but red makes to much contrast. Try soft colors or use color Swatches (here good tutorial how to make one by yourself - http://ibebloggin.com/article/27/instant-color-schemes). And, try to change font .

Practice makes it perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 PM

thanks for the additional comments jeronimas! it's still a work in progress and i'm sure i'll have a million more changes -- but does it look better now than it did from when you first saw the "cheap" looking version?

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Hi Marsha,

may I also add my two (actually five) cents?

- The intro-page is just too much plain b/w. Use just one additional color and it'll pop! Maybe on some part of the text or elsewhere.

- As the others said, the buttons are too big and bumpy. Also the word "thumbnail" in the gallery is bigger than the other letters, it distracts a lot.

- I just saw one or two of the retouched images but noticed couple of things: They are at a very low resolution. They have been resized with html-attributes to fit into the frame which distorts and pixelates them. Before and After pictures have not been cropped the same, resulting in the image bouncing back and forth on mouseover.

- In your pricing info, you mention "etc" in your description of the general retouch. Believe me, you don't wanna do this Big companies can get along with an info like "ok, you want this too, costs this much more" but private customers will inevitably flood you with "I considered those wrinkle-removement was included. And how about the bad background? Also, didn't you say there is blemish removal included? I still have the glasses on my nose, don't like my glasses, remove them". Think about it

- I wouldn't describe the whole process so detailed. For my own part, I have always been a good talker, so I try to attract potential customers and make them call me, so I can tell them more and convince them to make a deal.

As I said, just my personal opinions

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Patrick, thanks so much for the feedback! Very much appreciated! I didn't have time today to make any changes (although I did delete a picture and add a new one) but will be back to work at it tomorrow so check back and let me know what you think.

Question: I was able to get the images the same height, but how in the world do I get them all the same size without losing shape? I didn't think that was possible.

--and also -- ..."They are at a very low resolution. They have been resized with html-attributes to fit into the frame which distorts and pixelates them."
--how do i resolve this? i'm learning as i go, so how do i upload without the file being too huge?

I'll definitely be working on the intro page, color, buttons, and even a new picture eventually.

As for the pricing page, thanks for the advice there too. I'll revise it.

Thanks a million,

MOM
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques