RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

1st photo repair/colorization critique

Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM

thanks craig for the added color - i attempted once again to add more color to the cheeks and altered the skin tone a bit - not sure if this is helping or hurting.

ed - based on the original crop of the picture i stretched the vignette as best as i could and widened the picture a bit to accomodate the extra width, but i'm not sure i achieved much -- if i were to extend the bottom of the picture a bit exposing more of the bottom of her jacket and elongating the picture a bit and then stretch the vignette down, do you think that would add anything?

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I think you need to be careful that you don't distort the image by "stretching" it. When you increase the canvas size, you would probably have to use selections to move pieces into the newly acquired white area (on a new empty layer). It wouldn't have to be absolutely perfect because the vignette would cover most of it. But it would take some work. What you'd be trying to accomplish is to make the original appear to have been made with the camera a little further away from the subject. Then the vignette would look better without appearing to cut into the image so much.

If you cropped the original image to get what you have, you might be able to leave more of the image showing. That would eliminate "piecing" it together to make it look better. Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 11:41 PM

mom,

ok, let's go back a bit. on the original image you posted, make a new blank layer. on that layer take your airbrush brush and pick a color relatively close to the color you have for her skin. set the airbrush to a very light opacity, low density and a medium to soft 'hardness'. i dont know that all those equivalents translate directly to photoshop, but they shld be similar.

add some color to the entire face. you may want to darken the picked color just a bit or add some red to it, but we dont want too much alteration here from the original. avoid the eyes, lips and teeth, but dont worry too much if you dont. you can always go back and erase. set the blend mode of the blank layer to soft light.

when you've got the face with a bit more color, use a gausian blur to blend it. how much will depend on how well you painted. something around 10 to 20 shld be about right, though. now erase the bits that are outside the skin area or that got into the eyes, lips or teeth.

that shld add some basic color to the image and tone down the brights a bit.

i wont try to tell you what colors here, but now add another blank layer and pick another color and do some shading. gausian blur again and set blend to soft light.

keep doing this with various colors till you have what you want. it's a very easy technique and allows you to correct very easily or even erase completely if you dont like it.

the pink you added on the last one was too much, i think. if you do the same thing on a blank layer with a soft light blend and gausian blur it, it shld blur and blend a lot better.

i shld also point out that i still think you did a good job on the orignal and when you get to a point like that, if you get into something else you dont like, start back from there.

you shld also be aware that there are others who do this stuff much better than i. if you can attract vikki here or flora, you'd get some better help

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 06:08 AM

thanks ed and craig for the additional comments -- i'm working on it and will post when it is complete.

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 AM

mom,

you're welcome.

it's actually a good excercise for me as well. i need practice in the area also. see what you think of this one. it used the technique i described, but at the end i added a selection on her skin and used the hue/saturation tool to alter the color a bit more back to pale.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBRbef-aft-1-k-1c.jpg (93.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques