RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

1st photo repair/colorization critique

Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM

1st photo repair/colorization critique

hi all -- this is my first ever attempt at fixing a scratch in an old photo and colorizing -- how did i do?

everything that i did in this photo i learned from the fantastic RetouchPRO threads -- so thanks to everyone who contributed to my learning!

i am forever greatful!!

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 AM

Desaturate a little colors. Hear and eyes especially. I never seen eye-color like this. Underline the left cheek bone. Other is ok. Regards for your first colorizing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
First, let me say welcome to both of you if I haven't already done that. I agree with asterix about the color, *especially* the eyes. The vignette is a nice touch.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 05:53 AM

Very good work, especially for a first attempt.
I think the saturation is fine, although the eye colour is an unusual shade (for a human being anyway). Looking at the original I would have guessed a pale blue eye colour, or if you're happy with the green, I would use a different shade - less yellow.
I dont like the vignette on such a tightly cropped picture. Perhaps consider extending the canvas slightly so the vignette takes away less of the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Patron

First Retouch

Very Good Retouch. I made some changes. I varied the luminosity on the right side of her face to reveal some contours (I wish I could draw better). I also decreased the yellow tint to her skin.

Minor corrections on a very good restore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After1.jpg (27.1 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 07:36 AM

thank you all for the kind words - i fixed the eye color (i hope) and tried to tone down the yellow skin (although it's not as yellow on my screen), so i hope i didn't make it worse -- on my screen it gives her a little more contour. i also extended the vignette a little bit.

thank you all again. this is a gift for my mother-in-law, and i know she'll love it (she wanted me to add the color).

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 01:26 PM

very nice clean up. professional. i wouldnt worry too much about the green eyes. i dated a woman once who had one green and one brown eye and the green was very close to that. she was always a bit self-conscious about it and ended up wearing colored contacts to correct it, but i always found it a bit fascinating.

i do like that you brought her forward more in the 2nd rendition, but i do believe she could stand a touch more color in her cheeks. not saturation, but color.

other than that, i think it's a marvelous job and reminds me of those 30's studio hand coloring jobs, which your mother-in-law would probably appreciate.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 02:30 PM

thanks kraellin -- this has been a lot of fun to work on so i appreciate your comments.

i'm having trouble making the cheek color look "natural" -- but i did add some more color - although i'm not sure it made all that much difference.

MOM
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 03:49 PM

you're welcome.

but what i was talking about was adding more color overall. the original shows a fairly pasty image. there is some shading, but not really enough. and whereas i've just had a rather lengthy discussion with nancyj about 'pale', i'd add a bit more color if for no other reason than to give the image a bit more depth and contrast.

i worked on one of yours and attached it. i'm not a great colorizer and others could do this better, but it shld give enough of an impression to see what i mean.

but, in all such matters, the real question is, what does the client want? so, if you are the client and you like yours better, then you've done great!

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBRbef-aft-1-k-1.jpg (93.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 03:51 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
Perhaps consider extending the canvas slightly so the vignette takes away less of the picture.
Yes! The picture is tightly cropped, probably in the camera. Extending the canvas should help a lot.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques