RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Japanese Garden Painting -Critiques Please

Old 03-28-2006, 03:31 AM

Japanese Garden Painting -Critiques Please

I'm looking for your assessments of this painting. Such as: artistic merit, composition, asthetics, technique or your overall impression. Be honest, I can take it (I hope). Thanks.

For this piece I used Corel Painter IX, Photoshop and a pen tablet. To start I scanned a photo of the garden. I ran the cutout filter in Photoshop to reduce detail. In the Painter IX SELECT menu I selected ALL. Holding down the ALT key I then clicked on FLOAT, again, in the SELECT menu. Then I created a new blank layer and clicked on "Pick up underlying color" just above the new layer. I chose the OPAQUE ACRYLIC brush. Brush settings as follows:

Size: 10 to start (Varied as needed)
Opacity: 40%
Resat: 0% (This allows the brush to pick up the underlying color.)
Bleed: 40%
Jitter: 1.1

I worked at 100% view on a 720KB image with 72dpi. The brush technique I used can best be described as tap and push. (Tap the pen and give it a slight push or pull depending on which way you want the color to spray.) I continued this over the entire image until satisfied. Then I added freehand detail and additional highlights and shadows.

I saved the image and reopened in Photoshop and did a CURVES adjustment layer. Finnaly I added a canvas texture to complete the painting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree-Ptg-$wt.jpg (94.7 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 AM

Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing with those of us who enjoy photo art. I just have one question/statement however. Since this is a forum where we are all supposed to (I hope) learn, practice, and have fun on a posted photograph, wouldn't it logically follow that you might want to post the original so the rest of us can use it as well? Please.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 AM

PM,

like janet, i think it's a beautiful work. my only dislike here is along the top, if you look closer, you'll see what looks to be clone marks above the tree. this could just be a coincidence or something and not really cloning. but it has that look to me. in the green area above the tree, especially above the right half of the tree. no one but a digital artist/retoucher would notice this as such, i'm sure. so, it's a very minor thing.

aside from that, i like it. great colors. good composition/form, nice painted look and i could easily see it on canvas, framed and hanging in a home in a prominent position. very nicely done!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 AM

Japanese Garden Original Scan Photo

Janet, thanks for your kind assessment. Per your request here is the scanned photo for everyone to work from. I have also included the CUTOUT filtered image from Photoshop to show you how I started. Have fun.

Please post you intrepretations on the PhotoArt forum. I'll start another thread there.

Craig,

Dang! You're good! When I cropped the scan initially I inadverently left a strip across the top of the photo. Rather than recrop I did a quick clone intending to touch up later and then forgot. No one except another photoart junkie would have noticed. Glad you liked the painting. I value your opinnions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree-org$w.jpg (94.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Tree-co$w.jpg (96.9 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Photomaster,

Lovely picture. Not often I get to see trees in their fall colors. Enjoyed working on this.

Select color, Yellows of the tree. Copy to a new layer and added texture

Hue/Saturation on the background to shift colors to olive tones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampys-Tree-org$w.jpg (96.8 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM

I think that this tree would look even better in my garden ! Beautiful picture.
Swampy i think that the colour of this tree ( Japanese Maple) is its natural colour so you could see fall colours any time you wanted.

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree-org$w.jpg (88.0 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 PM

PM,

Quote:
Dang! You're good! When I cropped the scan initially I inadverently left a strip across the top of the photo. Rather than recrop I did a quick clone intending to touch up later and then forgot. No one except another photoart junkie would have noticed.
now if i could only paint as well as i see and thanks

i'll make one other suggestion here too. this is totally a preferencial thing and not a criticism at all. if you ran the finished image in a hue/sat/lightness adjustment layer and brightened just the yellows/golds/oranges, i think this would 'pop' a bit more. in fact, i think i'd make a rough selection of just the tree and do only that. this would add a bit more depth and pop to the image. if pop isnt intended or desired, then ok. it's almost more of a question of 'what if you did this?' than anything else.

and i love the original and the garden.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 02:29 PM

ok, i posted my last post before looking at swampy's rendition. that's the pop i was talking about. lots more depth there. almost looks 3d. nice, dee dee

and palms, i love that. simplicity rings true.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 PM

and i dont think that's a japanese maple... at least not the variety that grows around here. the leaves dont look right and the coloration is usually more reddish, but again, that's around here. the size and overall shape are very close, but the leaves look too small.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Palms, Actually, I get a little fall color in my oak trees, but it must be neat to have a tree that is something other than green all year. I lived in Kansas for a time and fell in love with the olive trees.

Thanks, Craig. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques