RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

www.makeovermagic.org critique

Old 04-04-2006, 02:15 PM

Your welcome Martha i just emailed you back. Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 06:00 PM

For being a begginer, you seem on the right track but here are some things I noticed. One, I'm not real keen on the click on the picture to return to the gallery thing. It would be nice if it went to the next picture in my own personal opinion. Then again, others may like that go back to the gallery thing. Second, I agree with toning it down but for me it was the backgrounds etc. Some of the edging is too sharp, too cutout and some of the backgrounds don't seem to match the brightness of the photos. Also, on some of the photos where you painted in the makeup... the makeup is much darker than even the pupils of the eyes which makes it look like someone took a marker to it. Some of the photos I think you did well on. Trust me... I'm still looking at some of the beginning photos I did and telling myself what I should have done. It's all a learning experience. I try to keep in mind when making my page to keep it user friendly but also try to maintain a very professional look. I think people tend to feel more comfortable purchasing something from a site that looks very professional and well established and if it's easy to navigate that helps too. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 08:01 PM

Last edited by makeovermagic; 06-19-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeovermagic
OK, i'm ready for a final critique on my website that i designed myself; please comment on overall design and content.
What immediately drew my attention is your gallery. The "after" image is before "before" image. There is a very good reason to reverse it. When you say it, it is more likely to say "before and after" then "after and before". As your target audience most likely to use left-to-right languages (are they?) it is natural for them to have after later. There are lots of theories behind this, but to keep it short: before and after, start to finish, from the beginning to the end, take photo then retouch.

best of luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM

You should also get permission before using other peoples images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2006, 03:10 PM

Final Update

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 AM

I would take Nancy's advice about the photos, as using others images can land you in bother or with a bill for using them. The other thing I noticed is your pages are made up of 1 background image with the text etc in them. Doesn't work for me, as I like to have text I can edit. That way I can update the site and info on it at any time.
I messed around with frontpage, dreamweaver, flash mx and photoshop for my site. But have now settled for Joomla, as it's got all the flexibility I could ever want and I can edit the site on the fly . PLUS I'm a tight fisted Yorkshire man who also likes the fact that Joomla is free
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 08:47 AM

Do you use Joomla as a CMS or as an editor?
I thought Joomla was a content management system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
I would take Nancy's advice about the photos, as using others images can land you in bother or with a bill for using them. The other thing I noticed is your pages are made up of 1 background image with the text etc in them. Doesn't work for me, as I like to have text I can edit. That way I can update the site and info on it at any time.
I messed around with frontpage, dreamweaver, flash mx and photoshop for my site. But have now settled for Joomla, as it's got all the flexibility I could ever want and I can edit the site on the fly . PLUS I'm a tight fisted Yorkshire man who also likes the fact that Joomla is free
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 09:05 AM

I think your website it nicely designed, serving its purpose. There was just two elements to it which distracted me a tad: being unable to get to the "Pricing section and not comprehending the point of an "Exit" button.

And by the way, as opposite to what somebody mentioned here previously, I like the way you retouch eyes.

Arandel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques