RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Tell me what I did wrong

Old 04-07-2006, 08:17 PM

Syd, sorry I missed that explanation for the blotches on the first post you made. I was interested in why you chose to use neatimage last after the highpass instead of first before your corrections? I've just gotten the idea that you should take out the noise first and not last. I am interested in seeing how your move of using the clone tool set to darken or lighten. I've never used a blending mode with the clone tool. I'm gonna work on it tonight and see what happens.

Cameraken, another nice nice job of colorizing the image. Very impressed. As you can tell from my version, I am just starting out and hadn't bothered with that process as of yet. I figure you got to get the other basic stuff down before you start messing with colorizing images. Thanks for the nice words but looking at the others it is becoming clear where I am.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:26 PM

I Love Black and Whites Photos

Your mother has beautiful eyes! Are they blue or green? She also has a smile that warms the heart.

I hope you didn't mind my working on her photo. I enjoy color photos but there is something about black and whites.

Thank you for sharing your family.

Last edited by klassylady25; 04-14-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 PM

Fixed the obvious spots with clone or healing tool. All the rest (including the background) was done with duplicate layers lightened or darkened using curves and gaussian blur, masked out and painted back in with a very soft white brush. Sharpening with a high pass filtered layer applied using soft light blending. I was not sure how "plastic" you wanted the image, so I retained most of the film grain and texture where it did not intrude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp2-11-600j.jpg (82.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:52 PM

imann,

thank you. and thanks, syd

i started by using a new plugin that was made by folks on this site, stroker, cameraken, byro and myself. it divides the grays into 32 bands and allows you to darken or lighten each band. i selected different regions of the image and worked on each with the plugin, taking down the highs on her forehead, darkening the fading on her dress, taking out the spots in the background and so on. even the neck/chest and face were done. this, by itself, took out some of the blotches.

the rest was mostly done using the push tool to smooth a few transitions the plugin didnt get.

after that, i set a blend mode on the layer (i forget which now) to blend with the original background layer. this gave me a nice black and white. there was also a curves adjustment layer and a contrast/brightness adjustment layer. these were needed to bring back a little contrast, mostly to her face where the plugin had made it a bit too pasty.

copy merge and paste to new layer.

then the painting. new blank layer above the copy merge. airbrushed in some tones to get a reasonable skin color and then added a manual color correction to this. set another blend mode to lower the saturation a bit and tweak it to a sort of 50's studio print painting. erased where the eyes are and the lips (remember, this is the airbrushed layer, so we want to remove any stray airbrushing from those areas). hand painted the lips and eyes. hope they are blue

that's the basics of it. there were lots of little steps and to try to write that all up would take longer than the fixing of the image.

not quite sure where you're seeing all these splotches. i did do some hand work on the neck/chest and face to try to smooth all that out, mostly with the push tool. but if you feel there's still some there, a light smudge would probably handle it nicely.

there are other ways to fix the original besides this 32 band gray plugin. i mostly wanted to see if the thing actually worked well enough to use as a retouching tool.

and there are others here who do colorizing far better than me. i think i went a bit too light on the application of paint. and if you're interested, i'm sure there are tutorials on how to do this.

so, glad you like it

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 PM

ken,

very nice. is that using your new skin colorizer?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 PM

Klassylady: Thanks for the compliment, I'm sure my mother will turn bright red when she see's it. Unfortunately, Kraellin will have to alter his color image when this happens. LOL My mom's eyes are actually green although sometimes they can look a little blue depending on what she is wearing. Mostly green though. I put the image on here so you could work on it. I was interested to see what I did wrong and what could be obtained. Thanks a bunch.

Veryweird: That was nice. The blotches are still there but the texture was removed nicely. The background also looks very good. Thanks.

craig: I showed my mother your work and she now wants me to do it in color. Thanks a lot (sarcasm)! lol As far as I'm concerned there is always someone better but I thought your job was very very good and I was totally impressed.

To all who responded: Thanks a bunch for all your input I'm going to take that and see if I can get something better. I'll post what I get here soon. I notice that people are using high pass instead of the unsharp mask to sharpen the image. Is there a reason in this case to chose one over the other? With the duplicating of the image to eliminate the background problems, I am assuming that a mask was needed in those cases. Am I correct? Again, thanks a bunch. I am always amazed at how nice this board is and how helpful it is. I can always be sure that I will get a number of replies to all my posts and that makes me want to come back. Truly an original forum as many of you who have been on a graphic design forum know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 11:53 PM

thank you, imann

i think ken's colors are a bit better; at least a bit richer. but maybe my monitor is off...or yours...or kens

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 01:33 AM

The more I look at it the more I have to agree. I think that it is because I saw yours first that I like it so much. I know that with the other work that I do outside of photo R&R I like to put something down for a day or sleep on it and then look at it again with a fresh mind. It often helps me see things that I didn't see before or like things that I didn't like before or visa versa. I'm sure you are well aware of that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Thanks Craig

Yes. I used my code. I just added a little more red to the lips, cheeks and eyelids.
Once you see the shape of the skin graphs I made it’s really quite easy to replicate with curves. My code is just quicker.

Yours looks great too. And probably more in keeping with the age of the picture. Mine is more saturated. But both are correct skintones.

imann08. If you add a hue/sat adjustment to my picture and lower the saturation then my picture will be very similar to Craigs. It’s just personal choice.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 10:32 AM

imann,
yup, walk away for a while and take a new look later on. anything that gets you to look at the thing in a new unit of time, with 'fresh' eyes, tends to work.

ken,
i hadnt thought about your code relative to curves, but now that you mention it, yes, that graph in the filtermeister thread does look like a curves graph. (and thanks ).

oh, and imann, i did take another look at the image. you're right; there's still blotchiness there. use a light opacity 'push' or 'smudge' on it to blend and bleed those out.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques