RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Tell me what I did wrong

Old 04-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Here's another attempt. I took Syd's recommendation for the background but I continued to use surface blur pretty heavy with a mask to get rid of the print texture. I also used high pass which I hadn't used last time. I don't think it's nearly as blurred as last time and there's no mask to create a totally new background so it doesn't look cut out like it did last time. Anyways, tell me what you think. I think it's an improvement.

Craig: I have some info on coloring an image but I'm a little confused as to how you colored the forehead that is visible through the hair that comes down over it. You obviously didn't color each strand of hair so what did you do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mg3.jpg (99.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2006, 01:07 PM

that's looking good, imann.

for the forehead, i painted pretty much the same as the rest of the face, but maybe a bit less. the blend modes will pick out the skin color from the dark hair. also, gausian blur and erasing can help. when i paint with the airbrush like this, i dont try to paint it exactly or even evenly. i rely on the gausian blur and erase to smudge things around and then erase the stuff that is 'outside the lines'. and even when i erase, i erase at a reduced opacity to give a more blended look.

you can get away with this because of how colors and shades tend to bleed into each other, even in the original images. hair near color is often shaded with the color it's near, just a bit. and the eye tends to do the rest. so, it's a bit of a cheat

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2006, 10:15 PM

Thanks Craig. I thought everyone had forgotten about this thread. I'm working on a color job of the photo and will post it soon. I think it is turning out pretty well. Kind of surprised how easy the basis of it is. Of course, it takes a little to get from where I am to where it looks really realistic. Keep your eye out. I'd like to hear what you have to say when I post it. BTW, my name is Isaac
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 PM

That's looking great Imann. A huge improvement the first one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 PM

ok, isaac.

just sign your posts with your name and i'll remember; otherwise, forget it

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 AM

Ok, here it is. I am actually pleased with what I have accomplished so far. I am still working on it and trying to fine tune it with taking out some of the uneven color and such. The one thing that I really don't know what to do with right now is the plastic look to it. I think it is a bit too plastic looking. I think that may have had to do with the blurring that I did while I restored the black and white more than it had to do with the coloring though. Regardless, I was quite surprised I could get something this good done at this point. I really thought it would take a lot more work and practice and frustration. Anyways, take a look and tell me what you think. What is good and what is not.

Isaac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mg3colored.jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 AM

The minute I looked at my attached file I felt is was way too saturated. I took it down to an opacity of 60% and it looks better I think. At least it does in photoshop. It looks very different in photoshop at 300ppi compared to the one I attach to the forum at 72ppi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mg3colored60%.jpg (92.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
My mom's eyes are actually green

looks pretty good. the skin color seems a bit off to me, though. and i actually like the first one better. skin color seems to be quite a topic of discussion around here, so i'll let others run the numbers for you (i just go by sight). and you can search on here for many topics of discussion about it.

'pasty' comes from two things, mostly... not enough texture and mostly, the colors are all too close to the same. the first one doesnt look pasty to me, but the second one, a bit.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 AM

I know I actually said that my mom's eye's are green but I said screw it and just went with blue. She thinks that they are sort of blue so it's all good. The blue I used is overdoing it but so be it.

With these I only used one color for the skin so I think that may have a lot to do with it. I do think that how much I blurred the skin also is a factor though.

I'll need to mess around with how to properly add additional colors a mix and match the right colors.

I'm interested that you like the first one better and basically think the exactly oposite that I do with the two pictures. That damn subjectivity.

I am going to give you a pm so keep your eyes open. Thanks

Isaac
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques