RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Tell me what I did wrong

Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 AM

Tell me what I did wrong

This is the highschool graduation picture on my mother. The original, as you can see, is pretty beat up. I got a good percentage of it fixed but I probably did it all the wrong way. I used a channel mixer to get it back to grayscale using the blue channel. That took out the majority of the splotches on her skin but as you can see, they are still there. I used levels to build the contrast up to where it should be. I used a mask to replace the background. I used the mask again with a gaussian blur and painted around the areas that I didn't want to be effected with the blur. That's about it. I couldn't figure out how to totally remove the blotches though. They are most prominent on her neck. You can see that on the original. It was only scanned at 600x600. I don't have a photo scanner yet. Anyhoo, any critiques of what I did do and help on what I didn't do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp2unedited.jpg (98.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg mg2a.jpg (94.2 KB, 138 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Perhaps a tad too much blur

I think you did an excellent job in getting rid of the blotches and other scratches/spots. There is a tad too much blur for my liking though so I have attached an almost identical version to yours but with more focus around the eyes and mouth. And you are quite right - the best channel was the blue channel, so I got rid of the other two and made a grayscale from the blue. I think that is the way to go with this image. As for the white spots in the hair...I think the best method is to set the clone brush to darken and a low opacity (say 25). That way you only affect the light pixels you want to darken and don't change any other information in the darker areas. Also I didn't think it necessary to mask out the background...it can easily be cloned smooth. If you really want to do that then you will have to be careful with the finer hair otherwise it could look too 'cut out'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom.jpg (99.6 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 01:40 PM

That was very nice. I did go kinda overboard with the blur but the original has a texture on the print that I found impossible to get rid of. Your background is much better. Ideally I'd like to do that instead of inserting a new one like I did. As far as the white spots and other things that were all over the place I just used the dust & scratches filter. I initially went after it with the spot healing brush but there are so many spots that I tried the filter and it seemed to work. Your work on the background must have taken some time to clone it all out. Did you just use a blur tool to avoid any sharp transitions? My main issue is to remove the texture which I found difficult to do without the serious blur and get rid of the splotches 100% witch it seems neither of us could accomplish. Using the blue channel, while effective, is not perfect. Your version is quite nice though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 PM

BTW, in both of ours, the highlight on her forehead is blown out. I'd like to avoid that as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 02:35 PM

I think

You should remove that big hot spot on her head
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 03:28 PM

That's what I was referring to in the previous post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 PM

thought i'd go the extra mile here...

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp2unedited-1-k-1b.jpg (97.5 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 06:53 PM

I think that was an extra couple miles. I'm in awe. I'd love to know how you went about that. The steps that you took etc. My mother actually wants to keep it in black and white actually but when I show her this she may change her mind. If you would like I'd love to here from you on IM. I get a number of them if you are interested in that. I see that you masked her out but I'm not sure if you actually replaced the background or not. Simply posting that work without any commentary is just playing games with me. lol

On a different note, I'm still interested in getting rid of the blotches completely, which no one has been able to do. I can still see them in your color job even. I'm also interested in a good way to get rid of the print texture. The way that I did it was less than appealing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 07:09 PM

Great job Craig. I like it. Imann, actually the background was very easy to do. The whole image took about 15 minutes. First I used a small soft clone brush set to lighten to get rid of the dark spots because there were fewer of them. Then I switched to a large (hardness 0) brush set to darken and swirled it around the background. I then sharpened the image using High Pass (set to 3) and finally put it through Neat Image. Neat image blurred out the background perfectly without affecting any detail in the foreground. That highlight on the forehead is easily fixed by going back to your levels layer and with a very soft black brush set to a low opacity just darkening the layer mask. As for the splotches on the neck (which aren't really that obvious anymore) they, once again, can be sorted out with the clone tool set to darken. It really is one of my favorite methods as you lose less detail that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom.jpg (99.3 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Hi Imann08.

I think you did a great job.
I started from the blue channel as well

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_mp2unedited.jpg (99.2 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques