RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First Try at Coloring a B&W

Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Nice job overall.

It may be my monitor, but the skin tone still seemed a bit off, so here is my try, with a little sharpening around the sides of the face and a little pearl in the teeth and very little additional grain or noise (I hope).

http://www.photography.verywierd.com...1_Color2bj.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 AM

NancyJ:

I saw that missed spot before I posted it but just posted this anyways cause I wanted to hear what people had to say. I didn't realize that I had missed it until I actually printed it out on photo paper. Do you have any info on skin tone swatches that are available? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 AM

Verywierd:

That was very nice. NancyJ originally pointed out about the skin color so I agree with that. I like what you did with that plus the sharpening of the sides of the face. Basically all the little edits you made made a difference. Could you tell me the numbers of the colors you used in the face? I'd appreciate it. I don't know if I'd use those exactly but I'm looking to collect some colors to develop a skin swatch of my own. Oh, also the pearl that you used for the teeth. What kind of opacity did you use for that? Less than 100%? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 PM

Skin Tones and Hair Colors

Attached you will find skin and hair colors.

Also, remember that "noise" level is subjective based on the artist's perception.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imann08
Verywierd:

That was very nice. NancyJ originally pointed out about the skin color so I agree with that. I like what you did with that plus the sharpening of the sides of the face. Basically all the little edits you made made a difference. Could you tell me the numbers of the colors you used in the face? I'd appreciate it. I don't know if I'd use those exactly but I'm looking to collect some colors to develop a skin swatch of my own. Oh, also the pearl that you used for the teeth. What kind of opacity did you use for that? Less than 100%? Just wondering.
I'm afraid that the skin tone was done visually. I find that unless you intend to revert to black and white and start over, using a "standard" tone on top of what is already there does not usually work. Either the new layer is so heavy that it looks like stage makeup or the previous shade still show through and blend into something that you do not want.

As for the the teeth, it was a blurred cream yellow applied at a very low opacity, something like 5-10% in soft light blending mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 10:08 PM

Ok, I've made some corrections, alterations, etc. I changed the skin tone a bit to make it a little more red. I added some noise and sharpened it a little more and I took the Hollywood out of the teeth and took it out of the eyes a bit. It's frustrating cause it never looks the same when I stick it in jpg to upload to the forum. For instance the noise is more apparent than I wanted it to be or that it appeared in photoshop.

I mentioned this earlier but I am using LAB for this. I think it works extremely well for this. I also use solid color fill adjustment layers to add the color for each area. That also seems to work well. It makes it a lot easier to alter coloring that I have done if I so choose.

Finally, for anyone who is making money on this stuff I was just wondering what people charge for this. What would you charge for this in particular? If you could give me an idea of the average or your own for this and then what you think I could get away with for this stuff. I'm going to hope that I'm good enough for this to be worth more than a six-pack of beer.

Anyways, thanks again in advance and check out my update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG1_Color3.jpg (99.6 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 02:30 AM

I dont like the noise - too heavy and too large. IF you really want to add noise, make it very very light - almost unnoticeable.
I still dont like the skin either - the colour is too heavy, like thick stage makeup all over her body. I'm you take your original and compare it with a desat of this one, I think you will find that your colourisation has affected the luminosity as well as colour (ever so slightly) In your b&w image you have parts of her skin that are very bright - almost white, they should stay that way, otherwise the colour looks 'applied' like makeup.
If you're working in LAB anyway, work on the A & B channels, then you can be sure you are not affecting the L.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 02:46 PM

imann,

well, you've added some saturation, color and opacity, but it's now starting to look a bit 'thick' to me, like too much paint on the canvas. it's also a bit too orange-yellow still, at least to me.

on the other hand, with this being your first colorizing project, i think you've done a remarkable job so far!

skin tones are tricky. it's an area i have problems with also. and as someone else pointed out, skin tones over black and white can also be tricky. to me it's quite acceptable. this is what i meant by it having a '50's look' to it. that was actually a style back then. and since this is an older picture, i find that quite acceptable.

i warn you also, anything you post in the 'critique' forum is going to be scrutinized to death and there is always a risk of overwhelming someone with all the 'faults' one can find in any image. 'perfection' is an absolute and i'm here to tell you, there are NO absolutes in this universe; none! so, at some point, just thank everyone for their help and make your own decision that this is done. for the most part you've got it. your mother would love it, i'm sure. we're nitpickers that nitpick over nitpicking here dont compromise your own reality over what is right or what is done, but at the same time, dont fall into the trap that 'everyone else knows best and i must listen to them all'. that will kill you for sure

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 10:46 PM

Craig: I'm sorry to report that Isaac has since passed away. They said it was due to trying to stick everyone's opinion into his picture at the same time.

I actually agree with you on the idea of that 50's look as long as it isn't too harsh. I want it to be somewhat realistic as well. I am totally guilty of thinking that everyone else knows best though. I tend to not take me own gut feeling on these matters at all. Mostly it's cause I am just starting out on this stuff and don't think I know anything. I do like to come to the critique section though, cause I do like to have myself ripped to shreads sometimes. To me that is how you learn as long as the people who rip tell you the better way to do it and the people here do.

It pleases me a great deal to hear your compliments though. I think I am doing much better with this than I thought I was capable of so that is pleasing in and of itself.

I do have a great deal of trouble with this skin tone stuff. It's very hard to foresee what you are going to get when you print it out and what I have on photoshop always looks better to me there than it does in the jpeg I send you guys. I often can't see the yellow tint in something until it's sitting next to something that is done better. Someone here did that earlier. Oh, well that's what experience provides I guess.

I'll be posting one more in a bit if you want to come and take a look. I am totally in agreement with the overpainted look but am having a hell of a time removing it. Any detailed suggestions?

NancyJ: I didn't really understand your suggestion. Can you explain it? I don't know what you mean by just working in the b channel. Is it as simple as highlighting that channel, keeping everything else visible and working on it like that? What else does it involve? Or is it something completely different? Sometimes I miss the obvious. I tend to make things too confusing at times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 11:32 PM

well, say a kind word at his funeral for me

i took your image and adjusted it. the process was pretty simple. you're very close. i used psp 10's adjustment layer, 'color balance'. this divides the image into ranges, lows, mids, highs and channels, r, g, b. thus, you can adjust the low r, g, b's and so on across the boards.

what you want to remember, regardless of what you use is, blue counters yellow. so, what i did in color balance was to raise the reds a bit in each range, and raise the blues a bit in each range.

as a final step, i added a hue/sat/lightness adjustment layer and lowered the saturation to -15.

and that was it.

so, you can see, you arent far off. mine isnt perfect either, but i like it

and yes, posting with this 100k limit can mess things a bit, but it's usually not enough to at least tell what's going on.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG1_Color3-1-k-1.jpg (95.7 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques