RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Japanese Girls

Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Japanese Girls

I put this up a few weeks ago under HELP and got some great suggestions. I now own Polaroid D&S and I made 4 different passes at this, trying to get rid of the D&S but keep the details. I also used Ro's degrunge: once for the faces and once for the background. I used some masked multiply and lighten to clear-up and bring out the outfits of the two left back people. Ultimately I did have to resort to some tiny paintbush work here and there.

So, I am trying to decide if I am finished and I thought that all of you might have an opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geertruida-Johanna-Borst-de.jpg (100.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg japanese-Girls-sm.jpg (98.8 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 PM

It looks pretty good considering the amount of "stuff" that was on there to start. I'm not sure how I could suggest to do any better. My only TINY critique would be to straighten the verticals especially if you are going to crop or resize the restore before going to print. That is mostly a personal gripe with me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2006, 11:57 AM

I am not accorded with Smiley Guy, as I fail to grasp why you have blurred their facial features. Utilizing the clone tool or healing brush would have been a wiser idea. You could have "Neat Imaged" some parts of the background, and used airbrushing of different opacities on others. Finally there is really no need to crank up the brightness as much as you have. This all would have left you with a crisper and more defined photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Arandel,

After sleeping on it, I am with you in that I don't think its so hot a restoration. My, my, this is something that I must learn. When you're on a really tough one, sleep on it.

Honestly, I tried the standard tools, the healing tool and brush, but they don't work. Here's why. I know that you have no way of knowing, but this badly damaged picture was scanned at 300 DPI. Consider the size of the subjects then realize this: a lip is about 1 1/2 pixels; the iris of an eye is about 5 0r 6 pixels total....... THe Healing tools don't work at all on such small sample sizes.

Brightness. Yep. You are right. Also, the fuzziness comes from an excessive -degrunging attempt. At the time I finished this I could only see two ways of healing the face issues: pixel by pixel - and the results were not pretty; and, a heavy degrunge. I have retought, retried and come up with a better result.

Watch this space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Rethinking my approach.

Here's what went wrong. I went at the facial issues here by (1) degrunging as much as I could and then (2) fixing what was left by tiny tiny brush work - which I am not very good at. I kept trying but I was operating within this approach.

After leaving it for a couple days, I got the idea that I should fix what I could and then degrunge away the rest along with my not so hot brush work. This proved to be more productive . Ultimately, it required a less heavy handed degrunge and the end results are better. Also, reset the gray-point to minimize the high blow-out, and then brought the smaller blow-out areas down with a masked darkening level.

For all practical purposes, I cannot significantly improve on the attached. If you think I can, please tell me how.

BTW I Used a leafy green tone on the background shadows and a creamy-yellow on the overall highlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese-girls-sm-toned.jpg (96.1 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 AM

This is definitely an improvement, comparing to your first try. Sleeping on it sure did the trick. The image is much more crisp, but I would still advice you to stay away from the degrunge technique in this case. I read what you wrote on the problem of "healing" the missing pieces, but there is always the clone tool as well as basic "copy n' paste" to aid you. Furthermore, airbrushing is also an option; especially easy here since the photo is a monochrome one. You have a lot to play around with when restoring a photo, so don't restrict yourself to just a few methods.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 01:20 AM

blue dog,

tricky image. i'll show you my first steps and see if that helps.

i first desaturated it a bit with the Fast Fix plugin. i tend to like black and white instead of sepia, but some prefer the sepia. so, this is a compromise. i only reduced it to b&w partially.

next i ran the clarify filter. this is a nice contrasting/highlighting type tool in psp 10.

then, just to get rid of the some of the major noise, i did nothing but clone on the easy areas. i just wanted to see the image better without all that white noise.

i like the polaroid d&s but i chose not to use it on this image yet. i would have to do some massive masking and didnt want to lose detail, so, i went with clone. it's slower, but gives you more control and doesnt blur things all over. i also didnt run digital camera noise removal or neat image for the same reasons.

i used no sharpening (yet), except to sharpen by contrast with the clarify filter.

so basically, all i did was to bring out the image more and get rid of some of the major noise.

you may also notice i did no real detail work yet. i did clone out a few spots on a couple of faces but only where it was fairly easy to do.

it's a complex restore. which parts of that white are noise and which are actual parts of the image? what's in all those dark background areas and can any of it be brought out? so, my first stage here was to only take out what would not answer any of those questions. i just left those alone to start. i just want to see some major progress in the thing before i try to fiddle with any of those issues.

also, to help you with the detail, the really tiny stuff, i use the push brush/tool set at a medium to low opacity. in photoshop i'm told this is similar to a heavy smudge. the push tool with a tiny brush, allows me to get into those 1 to 10 pixel areas without having to clone. i use very tiny strokes and push from multi-directions to fill a bad area with good. i just 'push' the paint from one place to another, but only a little at a time and only very small amounts. i also do this on a blank layer with 'use all layers' set. i find this works far better than cloning for the very tiny.

so, bring out the detail and get rid of some garbage. that's all i did so far.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geertruida-Johanna-Borst-de-1-k-1.jpg (96.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 06:44 AM

Smile Tricky and time-consuming

Very tricky. I've entirely redone it from scratch several times. Then there's those three damaged faces on the line from the LRH corner to rhe uppeLH corner! So many times the results were as bad as the original!

I started with Polaroid D&S. Like you said it required major masking and multiple passes but I did like the result. Its a good tool. In the end, I never let D&S touch the outfits as it ruined the detail.

I did ultimately use both a tiny brush and a smug stick and that's what finally gave me something I could live with.

The good thing about doing it over and over is that you do get faster.

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 01:01 PM

blue dog,

yup, i understand.

to me, the hardest part of this image isnt the faces, but rather that area on the far left where it's almost impossible to distinguish between the whites that shld be there and the whites that shldnt.

those 3 damaged faces shld be relatively easy and are exactly the kind of thing that i use the push tool on and maybe a tiny bit of airbrush at a very low opacity. you do all the work on a blank layer and zoom way in. keep all the tools on a medium to low opacity and just work with small areas at a time.

ok, while i was writing this i decided to do one of those faces. the attached is a fix of the lower right face. this is blown up twice normal size.

i started with push and airbrush, but realized not too long into it that the eyes were messed up pretty badly, so i rebuilt them with psp 10's red eye remover. great tool, btw. this was, like i said, mostly push and airbrush, but i also used the sharpen tool/brush to bring out the detail a bit more. that was after most of it was corrected. it's tiny work and slow, but does do a pretty fair job.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repair-face-1-k-1.jpg (59.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg damaged-faces-1-k-1.jpg (95.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques