RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first post here

Old 05-24-2006, 01:44 PM

woodbine,

well, put the two attachments one over the other here on the web site and just flip back and forth and you'll easily see the differences. there's nothing wrong with contrast, but i just think yours is a bit much and the highs are still too high overall. so, even if you left the contrasts alone as a treatment and did nothing but reduce the highs, i think it would be better. notice the face, for instance. that's where it really shows.

as for the background, you can treat that independent of the main subject and darken or lighten without affecting the main subject.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 02:55 PM

Red face Kraellin

OH GOD!!! I can't seem to get this , when you said histogram adjustment "filter" (haf) did you mean a "filter" or levels adjustment? (sorry for being stupid, I'm quite new at PS) and yes I can see the difference between yours and mine even at low res, so it would look better at high.....John
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 03:26 PM

ah, you changed your name.

the histogram adjustment is found in paint shop pro 10 in 'adjust\brightness and contrast\' menu along with histogram equalize and histogram stretch. they are filters, not adjustment layers. not sure where they are in ps but i'm sure they have them.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 04:24 PM

Ah!!!

That's why I couldn't find them, didn't notice you use paint shop pro, found midtone contrast and colour correction, but black and white clip are greyed out, will have another better look tomorrow, it's getting late here and I'm up at 5am.....
Thanks John
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 04:28 PM

Oh and the name change is Dougs doing, because everyone who's on AOL was having a problem registering on the forum. If your interested look here http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=120845
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Kraellin

Thanks for all your help and advise. However I printed my original photo quite small, as a trial, this afternoon, and even at that it did look too "pastey" (not enough colour and too bright) in the face, and as you said too much contrast, It could be that my Canon printer "sees it differently" I'm now going to add some more red in the face area and try that......John
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Patron

Britsdad, I think you may be looking for: Image => Adjustments => Shadow/Highlight in PS
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2006, 12:53 AM

canon huh...hmmm, not familiar with their results. never used their printers. love their cameras. most folks around here seem to use hewlett packards or epsons, with epsons getting a slightly better review. printers 'think' differently than monitors. monitors are all rgb while printers are all cmyk. the printer drivers translate the rgb into cmyk. ok, that's a generality and it's actually starting to change a bit, but there's a lot of cmyk printers out there so we'll go with that for now.

again, in general, if you've got a 3 color or even a 4 color printer, you have to watch out for 'gamut'. gamut is the range of colors, shades and so on that a device can handle and display. typically, a printer's gamut is much smaller than a monitor's. so, you work through a monitor and print through a printer and you tend to lose a bit of color and even detail at time because the printer cant handle all the shades and hues that the monitor can.

you've also got 'profiles'. this is how a color or shade is set as far as a standard is concerned. and, these vary. the most commonly used seems to be sRGB. if your editor isnt set up to display in sRGB but your printer is, you may also get variances. adobe has their own proprietary profile, 'adobe RGB' and it's not the same as sRGB. so, if you're working in adobe rgb you might want to switch to srgb.

calibration is another possibility. if you've ever walked into one of those stores that have 30 television sets going, all set to the same channel, you know what calibration is and does. those 30 tvs may all look a bit different. monitors are the same way. if your monitor is set too brightly your prints will come out dark. remember, you are working in your editor with a fixed digital system. red is a certain value of r, g and b. but, your monitor is analog. thus, you may have the right numbers in your image digitally, but be way off on the monitor. so, we calibrate to correct for color and shade. you have to do both.

now, i forget exactly where this thread is, but i do know there's one on retouchpro here that deals with calibration and can link you to several sites to do this with fair results. there are also devices you can buy that will do this. not sure of the costs or hassles though on those.

someday, i would love to get 20 of the folks here on retouch together with their computers and monitors all set up in one room and look at each to see how well they matched up.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Cheers craig

Yea, I have been all thru' calibrating monitors and colour profiles (even though some, if not most of it, goes over my head) but I still get irregularities. And I know a little about gamut. I think the problem with my results stems from actually manipulating the image on my laptop, then transfering it to pc to print it. The pc colour ect. is set up with Corel Photo Paint, not Adobe, which won't help either. As for Canon printers I can recommend them, I've had HP and Epson but I think the Canon I have (ip 3000) beats them both on quality.
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 PM

john,

glad to hear about the canon printers. only thing i'd say on that then is to check the canon website for updates to their drivers or software and/or bug fixes. sometimes that can fix things like this.

but, in looking at your latest post, i see you're going from laptop to pc to printer. that seems a bit odd to me. if you could avoid that extra step that might also help. why not just hook the printer into the laptop?

i dont know anything about corel photo paint. and you dont mention what you are using on the desktop to print from. that could be the problem too. if corel is using something other than srgb and the desktop is using srgb then there could be a translation problem there. does corel paint allow for profiles and such or are you stuck using their profile, whatever it is? and on the desktop what are you using to print with?

i can only offer one trick at this point, not knowing the answers to the other questions; try lowering your gamma about 10 to 20% on the laptop before exporting to the pc. work with your image at those settings and then export. run a test print and alter the laptop again till you've got a matchup between the printer and laptop.

i run into this a bit with just my desktop. the prints tend to be about 5% darker. in most cases this isnt enough to worry about and when it is i simply lower the monitor settings with the buttons on the monitor and re-adjust the image accordingly.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques