Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First Painting with Tablet & Painter XI

Old 05-29-2006, 10:21 PM
First Painting with Tablet & Painter XI

Need blunt and honest feedback on this garden setting project.

Fairly new to this and want to become very good so let me know what I can do to improve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Welcome Rogerc to Retouch...Think you will be more than happy here....

I am relativly new to painting on the computer too...but i wanted to comment on your painting...Personally I like it...I like the movement of the brush strokes and the colors and would be very happy if you could give a few details as to how you did it????

Have fun in the forum...Patricia..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 04:31 AM
Thumbs down

Hi Rogerc!
I'm also new with tablet and very interested to hear more about your beautiful work. Did you use AHB?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 05:34 AM
If you want blunt and honest criticism, then I'm your girl

For reference it would be helpful to see the 'before' image. But this is my evaluation of the piece on its own.
Overall its relatively pleasing to the eye, not gallery standard but maybe hanging in a hotel lobbey or restaurant .
I would have liked to have seen more form and definition in the man made structures, you're a little smudgy on some of those edges.
Theres a great sense of movement but I think its a little too much, the flow is in multiple directions and it has a very hap-hazard feel to it, it feels more gale force winds than 'gentle breeze on a summers day'.
Its also lacking a little depth perception. The bench looks completely swamped in plants, whereas I assume its really just there are plants in the foreground obscuring the view. I would like to see a little more detail and delicacy in those foreground plants, particularly the red plants on the right hand side, they're very smudged and look rushed.
The grass is very good, gives a great impression of a lush, neat lawn without being obsessively detailed.

Overall its not bad but it could use some work to live up to its full potential. I dont use a tablet so I cant help you with that and you seem to be doing fine with painter. I think your technique is fine but you need to work on your attention to detail and composition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM

Very detailed and helpful suggestions, I had not looked at the finished product the way you did and you are correct in your detailed observations.

Will incoorporate your comments on my next project.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I will post the orginal later today and give details of what I techniques I used when I get home from work.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques